Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1997 odd composition penny  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
3955 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  6:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up this odd looking penny for a lark at recent Torex show, had it XRF today 75% zinc, almost 25% copper and a touch of tin weighs 2.37 g just an ugly dark toned goldish colour. Is there such a 1979 brass penny ? Tried to match foreign planchets but nothing really matches

Edited by john100
06/26/2018 6:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1936 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'97 was the start of the copper-plated zinc core cents. What you have is normal. What kind of XRF did you use?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26718 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3955 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to a couple references, the 1997 penny is 98% zinc and about 2% copper, lost track of posting a pic, will try latter. The XRF was a rather large table top version at Canadian Coin and Currency goes to like 4 decimal points
Edited by john100
06/25/2018 8:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3015 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But it only goes so deep...
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Learn More...
Canada
7889 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen some unplated coins from that date....and diffuse plating errors... as well as just some nice golden toned coins, are you able to post a photo?
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3888 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pure coincidence, I found this penny in a drawer today.

Learn More...
Canada
7889 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John100 - is the diameter of your coin slightly larger?

The term "Texas cent" comes to mind when I see stuff like this...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3955 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the penny has a slightly larger diameter, according to some references the 75% zinc 25% copper is known as Prince of Rupert brass or like a fools gold. Along with many other pennies I can see why this coin was pulled out, it is just weird looking, almost want to polish it, just kidding !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7085 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I thought a Texas cent was a hundred dollar bill.

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05