Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918-S 'Dooped Chin' Buffalo Nickel Die Clash

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
270 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased a lot of 100 dateless Buffalo nickels from my LCS. Found a couple of Semi-Key/Key dates and somoe type-1 1913's. And then I found one of these. Here's a previous thread about this variaty. Just wondering value on one of these. Thanks!

http://goccf.com/t/281078
ANA id: 3194067
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11985 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure on the value, but that's very cool!
Errers and Varietys
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2018  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bump
Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2018  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the grade. Post pics here and we can help.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2018  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
without pics (won't be home till 8) it's about g-5 with better strike - harshly cleaned
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14315 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a variety, just a strong die clash. Just a die stage and possibly exists from more than one die pair. The dies are arranged the same way and whenever a clash happens that's where the clash would show with the strength of the clashmarks varying depending on how hard the dies clashed, the temper of the dies, and how many coins have been struck since the clash occured. With die wear and/or polishing the clashmarks on the dies weaken and fade.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4636 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your "dooped chin" die clash are known as "whiskers".
Unless it has a date, there won't be much value but still neat to have.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the wait here's the pic!

Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bump 2x
Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but without a date it's not going to be worth much. You might list it on eBay as a dateless coin with a clash, but you won't get much for it.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11985 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see a very faint "1918" showing, but barely. Still a very nice error coin and a keeper.
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Still a very nice error coin

Here's something I think might spark a debate between many members - is a die clash an error or a variety?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it's certainly not a variety, so it must be some sort of error, i.e., an unintended result from normal production procedures.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4636 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
is a die clash an error or a variety?

Has to be an error. It wasn't intentionally incorporated on the dies which would make it a variety.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, a die clash is an error. But I was getting members' opinions on it just to see what the majority of people thought it was.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14315 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I said, it is neither one, it is a die stage.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05