Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking for some advice on "Re-starting" my collection  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Brett, I'm also back after about a 30+ year break. Restarted in January and had a whole new system of grading to learn so my perspective is fresh, so maybe similar to yours. The path I took was to purchase coin rolls, and also more recently started to get into cutting up mint sets. Primarily coin rolls labeled as BU for brilliant uncirculated. If I use quarters for example, out of a roll of 40 1988 quarters, only about 3 or 4 will grade at MS65 or better. The rest are too scratched from all the processes before the quarters make it into a roll. My thought on this is that I'm paying around 1.5 to as much as 2 times the face value. Meaning depending on source, I'm paying as little as $15 for a $10 face value roll. If I miss out in that nothing is worth saving in the roll, at least I get $10 to deposit back into my local bank. My risk is really $5 spent. I've been keeping away from the stupid years where everyone wants big dollars, such as 1983 Quarters.

On the mint sets, I cleaned your Village Coin Shop out of their late 1960's, 1970's and early 1980's mint sets over the prior few weeks. The prices were decent but these sets are pretty beat up. Even the envelopes were beat up. I am finding a few MS-65 coins in these sets but so far nothing spectacular. Only halfway through at this point. What I'm liking about mint sets is that I'm building a more complete collection of all years and types from pennies all the way up to the big Ike dollars that I thought I would never collect.

As others have recommended above, learn the grading system. Get yourself at minimum 5x magnifying glass for starters. Seeing coins at 5x and when it finally hits what is considered MS65 or better, you'll be hooked like no other time in your earlier experiences as a kid. Go watch the PCGS grading video's on youtube -- they have many. What really helped me the most on learning grades was to send a few coins into PCGS. I hit a few really nice scores but also tanked big time on a few. I'm keeping my tanked coins as hands-on reference material. When you can hold a slabbed coin in your hand that didn't grade well, and look at it under 5x, you will learn very quickly why it didn't score well and learn what will have a better chance at scoring higher.

I don't consider myself an expert at this point, but that's my 2 cents. I also went way overboard on getting back in so be careful. I know I spent around $5k this year so far and a massive amount of time. At least I put some money out there and gave some smaller coin shops a small bump in sales but wow, my bank account reflects my spending... I'm done for now, I think.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05