Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Online Coin Shopping

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of agree with basebal21. I feel though every way has its pros and cons and may tend to be coin buyer specific. But all good advice to keep in mind.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!! Thanks so much Mrzllewellyn! I will definitely do that, one thing I heard though is that 50 posts is not necessarily 50 posts in the eyes of the admin. Because things like Thanks or something doesn't count, I read somewhere so I am not sure when I will officially hit 50 posts to not cause trouble. Anyone have thoughts on that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1351 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say, just go with your gut. The large majority of dealers are honest. They want your business, and they want you to be happy so you'll buy again.

I've never had a problem with any online dealers. Red flags you should watch for include deals that are too good to be true, lousy photos, and detailed explanations and descriptions of the coins meaning to obfuscate its basic characteristics.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jpsned!

Honestly the only place to buy them I have heard anything bad about is Littleton, I've heard too expensive and its get you placed in their auto-coin mailing list where they send you coins to buy or not.

Other than that nothing but good words for all!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14322 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure about a place with no address shown.

Just Carl, if you click on Contact Us you will find their address, Jakes used to have a Brick and Mortar location but eventually went to just online sales.

Quote:
If I decide to try Littleton I will keep my eye out. My father collected through them a long time ago before he passed and never had issues from what my mother remembers.

I started out with Littleton as well, mostly with foreign coins. I'm one of the few people that have dealt with them that was NOT impressed with their quality. They have a reputation for not selling problem coins or overgrading but that was not my experience with them at least on their approvals. Cleaned coins were not uncommon, and on the US approvals I received grades were inflated about two grades. It's bad enough when you get a Fine coin that is actually a Fine that they want VF money for, but when that Fine is a VG and they want VF money no thanks.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:38 am  Show Profile   Check Buckwill311's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like using eBay because there are so many options to choose from. I usually set a filter based on the price range Iím willing to spend on a coin and go from there. Like everyone said there are some dates that are best to purchase graded by a TPG and there are others that donít. Eventually you get a feel for what youíre looking for. And remember, just have fun!!
College bound
Lehigh University Ď2022
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best thing to do is learn how to grade the coins you want to collect and as others have stated, go with slabbed coins for the key dates. You can also look for local coin shows and attend those. The plus on coin shows is seeing the coins in person and getting to meet and know dealers that attend the shows. Once you better understand grading of the coins you want to collect, you will be able to judge for yourself whether a dealer is accurately grading his raw coins or not. I attended a recent coin show here in Texas and one dealer had a good selection of dates for the coins I was interested in. But, virtually every coin was over graded and priced according to what he graded it. I moved on.
Actively collecting IHCs and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05