Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1854 (SLH) huge O? Dangling from my late grandpa's keys. 😲  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Winona to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

1854 huge O possibly dangling from my grampas key chain I don't know why he would do that, with the added hole in it if it had any value I'm curious now if it to possible fake?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was the 1854-O Quarter, not the Half Dollar, with the Huge O MM. So no, this is not the Huge O.

It definitely has value even with the hole, as it is 90% silver. A small numismatic premium for it on top of the silver value.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
07/12/2018 1:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somehow, I just knew the "Huge O" would be a hole. I wasn't entirely wrong and I still learned something. Double points!

Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winona to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, I thought someone would think I meant the hole too!
I learned as well. I'm only a couple weeks into this coin collecting hobby. These are passed down from gramps.
He actually was really good about marking all of his coins and had them in special cases and books and all clearly marked on who was inheritin what, so it was never a problem not knowing what coins were which and how much they were worth.
But now I've found so many loose ones in crazy hiding places, I'm having to now learn. I'm sure he is smiling down watching me wracking my brain over it, and finding it to be a pleasurable pastime. ")
Pillar of the Community
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's photos from PCGS CoinFacts of the 1854-O Seated Liberty quarter with the Huge O mintmark:

It only was on the quarter, not the half dollar or any other denomination.

Feel free to post pics of the coins you inherited on the CCF if you have any questions about them.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
07/12/2018 2:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26599 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3238 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 1854 "Huge O" for comparison.

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winona to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah I see it!
Thanks for Sharing ")
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05