Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question about 1909 maundy set mintage. Potential purchase

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
At the coin show last month I asked one of the dealers if I could see a graded 1909 maundy set that he had (I had never seen one in hand before). He told me I could have it for $100. This seems like a good price for any maundy set and I was tempted because this set fits in with two of my collections; small silvers and British Edward VII type set but didn't have $100 on me and that's a pretty big buy for me without a little research. I hadn't really researched maundy coins much mainly due to price.

I found confusing info about the mintage of the 1909 maundy coins. NGC says about 2400-2900 for 1d, 2d, and 4d and Numista says the same but then 1,983 maundy sets. I also noticed that 1909 and 1910 were much lower mintage than 1902-1908.

I saw the same set in his case the month before as well. I can't remember the TPG, but it wasn't NGC or PCGS. I should have taken not of the grades but didn't. I think they were all PL63 but one may have been 62 or 64. They were all similarly toned (a little dark gray/blue).

First question: What's up with the mintages of Edward VII maundy sets?

Second: Should I take the deal if I can get it again? Or take it dependant on X grades or Y TPG? This month's show is this Sunday.

Thanks in advance.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
104 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't help you much with the TPG or grades questions as I do not use TPGs or the US grading system.

On the figures, I suspect the lower figure for "sets" refers to those issued in little leather bound boxes as opposed to loose.
Overall the issue size was largely governed by demand - in those days anyone could go to their bank and order a Maundy set or coins, so the mintage was determined by demand (plus those needed for the king to issue on Maundy Thursday). I can't say why demand was lower in those years - maybe increasing tension across Europe had people worrying about other things instead.
As to value - $100 seems very cheap. In the UK I would expect to see them for around £100 to £120 on a dealers store, so $140 to $170.
The key with Maundy sets is getting a well-matched set - similar toning and wear. Any coin substantially different in colour spoils the appearance. Also check the threepence very closely to see it is struck to the same grade as the others as sometimes these have been replaced with a circulation example, which also breaks the set.
I hope that helps.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3982 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From CoinCraft's Standard Catalogue of English & UK Coins (1995):

"Until 1908 it was possible to obtain sets of Maundy Money through banks and other outlets, but from 1909 the issue was restricted to Maundy ceremony recipients and a number of other specified persons. This is why the 1909 and 1910 sets are considerably scarcer than those of earlier years, and also why sets of later reigns are more difficult to find than those of Victoria or Edward VII"

The actual number of each Maundy coin struck per year varies, as the monarch hands out as many silver pence to as many deserving elderly men and women as there are years in the monarch's age. This means that the money distributed to each recipient usually consists of a number of complete sets plus a few additional coins to make up the value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info guys! That clears this up quite a bit.

Quote:
Also check the threepence very closely to see it is struck to the same grade as the others as sometimes these have been replaced with a circulation example

This is why I would be hesitant to buy a raw set. I would be afraid that I would end up with a circulation 3d. Fortunately, it seems like the maundy 3d can be easily discerned by the the PL (vs MS) designation when graded by TPG.

Anyone else care to comment on the value of this set?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3982 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$100 seems great value to me.

Coin Yearbook prices it at £275 in Uncirculated. That's about $363.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7043 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$100 is quite inexpensive and a good bargain. That being said, given the rather low price I would recommend carefully reviewing the coins for excessive hairlines or polishing as many Maundy issues were cleaned throughout their lives.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05