Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Luigino 1666 Italy tessarolo coin fakes?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sweden
2 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Elgrimm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

First time posting here. I'm curious about what is up with these two different coins. They both seem to have the same odd marks on them. Looks like extra metal. In the exact same spot. Fakes?

I have been trying to find out which method was used while making these coins, but I haven't found any good information.
I have very crudely marked the marks I'm talking about on the images.

Thanks in advance for any help explaining this.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
21399 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

I moved you thread over to the right section.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6789 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check weight/size/magnetism, should be non-magnetic, 22mm, 2.2g or so, and ring like silver when gently dropped.

Not much attention was paid to either the planchet or the strike when these were made, but those areas of "deposit" on both examples you post are not seen on 8 or 9 genuine coins I looked at on vcoins including some with provenance. It could be the remains of where some jeweler had used solder to turn these two coins into jewelry pieces, or perhaps a sign of a poorly cast counterfeit. I do not know very much about these and can't really speculate much further.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert on these kinds of things, but would guess that one possible explanation is that the two coins were made using the same die, which had quite a few flaws.

Going into CoinArchives, I can find multiple coins made from a different pair of dies for this coin (or a similar type), also having identifiable features (a large die crack running along the top of the letters TOR at 5:00 on the reverse, and two smaller die cracks obverse). so maybe it's not so uncommon?
https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...0d4111ca6b55
https://www.coinarchives.com/008b10...age01674.jpg
Sweden
2 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Elgrimm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the prompt replies!

Unfortunately I can't perform any physical tests on these coins as I do not have them.

My thought was also that there might be a die that had a flaw that was used for both coins. But I've been looking around quite a bit and haven't seen these kinds of flaws on other than ancient coin fakes. But I guess if coins were made using dies instead of striking them they could have gotten the same problems as modern fakes.

I will be sure to check that archive page. It seems useful!
Edited by Elgrimm
07/12/2018 11:49 pm
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05