Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ceylon Copper Massa Coins

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
200 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a little set I've been collecting...Now I'm down to the slightly rarer ones.

A beautiful presentation Paul.

I find this type of coin most attractive, but would not know where they were from, or even the correct orientation of the coins. This thread, and the presentation, would make a valuable resource should I ever come across one. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I hope you manage to find what you need to complete the set.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
4802 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you made a great score, Szilárd. Should clean up well. Congrats.
Valued Member
200 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baltas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bob!
Edited by Baltas
02/28/2020 12:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1766 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$6!WOW...

Super find....Ignorance is bliss...... ''Sometimes''...

These coins can go for $150 plus....Usually plus!

Congrats!

@Novicius... Thanks Jim I'm glad you've found the thread useful...Its what its all about.

Paul
Valued Member
200 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baltas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Paul!

The coin is arriwed today.
After I started to clean... the color is silver. Some kind of white metal. What do you think? Fake? Silver?
4,38 g
Szilárd
Edited by Baltas
03/03/2020 10:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1766 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Style wise looks ok and nothing is screaming fake...

Weight is right at the top end though, usually these are closer to 4.0/4.2gr but they can vary considerably.I have seen them at 4.3gr...

Couple of questions...Is it magnetic?....Whats the diameter?....And how did you clean it?
Valued Member
200 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baltas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First I tried manually, after I put the coin into a slightly acidic water.
Now I think the coin is ok. :)
A base silver massa? How rare it is?

Szilárd

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1766 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woooo....

@Baltas.....I would think if this coin is genuine it would be very rare!...
I collect the copper types but do know that silver and a white metal type do exist.
Here's a link that you'll find interesting and hopefully set you on your way...
Please let us know what you find...Paul
https://sirimunasiha.wordpress.com/...d-1187-1196/
Valued Member
200 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baltas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you! ;)
I am sure, the coin is hammered and genuine.
I found this:
http://coins.lakdiva.org/medievalsi...alla_ag.html

This coin is:
Diameter: 20,5 mm
Weight: 4,38 g (heavier than copper)
Die axis: 180°(copper ones is 0°)

The only question is the rarity of the coin. :)

Szilárd
Edited by Baltas
03/04/2020 11:52 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05