Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting US And German World War II Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,084Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  07:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 007harley to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I have a collection of U.S. World War II coins. I recently started collecting German World War II coins. So far, I've collected some ReichSpfennig pennies, nickels, and dimes. Can anyone recommend a few other German coins from this time period worth collecting? Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5983 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
German silver Reichsmark reasonably inexpensive silver coins.

Are you looking to collect by year only, or by year and mintmark?
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3862 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on the specific dates you are thinking of, when you say "World War II coins."

If you mean coins in the 1940s, then I think your only additional option is the 50 reichspfennig aluminum coin. There are a lot of these for sale on eBay.

If you go back to the Third Reich coins of the late 1930s, there are a lot of other options, and they are far more attractive coins, because of the more normal coinage metals used, including silver.
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most WW2 German collectors start with 1936, the entry of the 3rd Reich symbols on-call denomination coins. Up to 1943, German coins remained fairly stable, as their economy tanked, other materials were used. Google "German coins 1939-1946. Interesting stuff...

You may find all you want here:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/al...e-pre1945230
Edited by Crazyb0
07/18/2018 10:40 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1744 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a large amount of Japanese currency collected or also occupied countries currency during this time period.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5983 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IIRC, without looking it all up, I believe the German WWII series are home to some very rare date/mintmark combos. The old 80/20 rule - 20% of the coins make up 80% of the price. That would be a fun challenge if that is your cup of tea, but if history is your focus, I would personally ignore mints and collect by type and year, or even type only.

If you ignore the handful of ultra-rarities, you could assemble an impressive collection of WWII issues in high circulated grades without a major financial commitment, as most types catalog at under $5 each in VF/XF/AU.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And German Notgeld is an amazing field to check too.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also just recently started collecting US and German coins from this era. Along the way, I found this interesting online store run by a man named Joel Anderson. I haven't purchased anything from him yet, but his website is chock full of information.
As I read more, I also became interested in coins from other involved countries, particularly France and Great Britain. It is fascinating to see the difference in materials and designs, particularly the aluminum Centimes and Francs from German occupied Vichy. "One side of the coin features a double-headed axe flanked by grain. The other side has the denomination flanked by oak leaves and the legend "TRAVAIL, FAMILLE, PATRIE" ("work, family, fatherland"). The legend replaced the traditional motto of the French Republic "liberty, equality, fraternity". The coins date from 1942 to 1944."
I know you are asking particularly about German coins, I just wanted to share about my journey.
I am very interested to learn more about the German clubs, and where to find inexpensive examples for my collection.
Here's a link to WW2 coins from Mr. Anderson's site
https://www.joelscoins.com/wwii.htm
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a lot of the 1930s Third Reich stuff. 5 Reichsmark with the church, 5 Reichsmark with Von Hindenburg. Too many. Tried to message you but you aren't set up to receive emails. You can contact me if you want more info.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3862 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be easy to assemble a nice collection of the Vichy coins from eBay, at very low cost unless you are looking for high grades. Attractive circulated examples are just a dollar or two each.
Likewise for most of the German types.
Edited by tdziemia
10/18/2020 12:47 pm
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why are these coins generally so inexpensive?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3862 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High mintages. And a lot made their way to the U.S. in the bags of GIs returning from the war (I still have a bunch of pre-WWI German Empire coins an in-law brought back).

Certain date/mint/denomination issues can be valuable, especially in nicer grades.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,084Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05