Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toning On "New" (2016 To 2018) RCM Issues

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins cannot be detoned (cleaned with silver cleaning solution) and I would be interested to know how they can "rework" these coins. But the lighting/UV theory seems the most plausible in my circumstances as all of the coins I have seen with this defect have toned on the reverse (cases opened to light).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4049 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Wandering Eskimo: Thanks for recap of your exchange with the RCM. Great information!

I can say from personal experience, the RCM has been using a "protective" coating on its coins dating back to at least 1996. It is something that the Franklin Mint did as well when it was an active producer of coins and medals.

Edited by commems
09/27/2018 11:42 pm
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jordanrj28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait, Canadian Post Offices sell coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2314 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wandering Eskimo, Thank you for sharing your exchange with the RCM.

Quote:

4) I'm wondering if some of the "exposure" described by the RCM in our e-mails could be caused by shipping through Canada Post? They deliver in non-airconditioned units, and leave parcels in outdoor mailboxes. These don't sound like "ideal" conditions, based on my RCM rep's messages.

In my case, all the coins were perfect when received and then only one of them became golden. There is no reason to suspect that one coin would have been shipped differently than the others. But it's certainly possible.

I believe that the root cause might be due to the RCM dipping the coin is some kind of varnish. I've noticed this "shiny effect" on frosty finishes before and wondered.

Probably not a good thing.

EDIT: I just posted an update on http://goccf.com/t/319521 - another coin is oxidizing, but in a peculiar way.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Edited by canadian_coins
09/29/2018 8:31 pm
Valued Member
Canada
134 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2018  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Wandering Eskimo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Eskimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I believe that the root cause might be due to the RCM dipping the coin is some kind of varnish. I've noticed this "shiny effect" on frosty finishes before and wondered.

Probably not a good thing.

Agree here, and it's been a few really inexpensive months for me on the NCLT front.

Until I have a firm direction on what's going on, and how the issue will be resolved, my spending is almost entirely on hold.

Just to recap: it's not a light / UV issue on my end, as the toning is also happening in closed clamshells and/or on both sides of coins (including the "face down" side, which is not on display). It's not temperature or humidity. And silver bullion is stored in the "exact" same displays, and is not toning like RCM issues.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
618 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2018  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Until I have a firm direction on what's going on, and how the issue will be resolved, my spending is almost entirely on hold.

My thoughts as well.
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2018  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChuckB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Enterprise looks like it is gold plated, it is displayed, the polar bear sitting beside is not tonned,these are displayed in a product the mint sells, logically they should be fine the 20 for 20's I have on my wall as inspiration to make more money are not tonned at all.

i will have sort through my hidden collection the next time I have a rainy day off.

for many reasons my spending is almost 0, I even received the we miss you email.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2314 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the $15 coins were scanned at the same time, on the same platen. We can clearly see some interesting "toning" that has developped mostly on the more recent coins. From top 2019 to bottom right 2010. The Dragon (2012) does have some hints of toning. But the most obvious toning is on the Dog (2018), Rooster (2017) and Monkey (2016).

All coins are kept in the same box. Honestly, I think the effect is interesting.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Edited by canadian_coins
11/17/2018 6:33 pm
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChuckB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After closer inspection my 2015 canoe coins do have toning, odly enough it looks better and only on the frosted portions like the canoe,
Canada
16 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2019  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jam3z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hello to all here,
I have recently bought this 2017 in the eyes of the timberwolf 1kg from a dealer.

I'am noticing some toning on the queen. I apologize for the quality of pictures.

Do you think this is acceptable due to the coin size and that this would more likely occur on larger format coins?
Is this already affecting value?

The front of the coin seems to be tone free to my eyes.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05