Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Howdy ya'll! Old phart jumping into a new (to me) world of coins.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  09:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm kinda new to the Coin World. I collected a few pennies/silvers as a kid but that was 50 years ago. Wish I still had those from then... LOL Anywayz, my dad passed and I ended up with most his coins. Dad was a frugal old cuss, any change he had in his pockets he threw into the box. He would occasionally go to the bank looking for old silver coins although through the years most were sold as he saw fit. Roll forward many years, he passes and I end up with a lot of those coins. Indian heads, pennies large and small, 3 cent pieces, flying eagle, half dimes, halves and some morgans. I have gone through the morgans and found the majority are well circulated, only a couple exceptional pieces. Does not matter, those are now in my collection and will stay there. This got me interested in starting my own collection to someday leave to my kids/grandkids. I'm thinking of doing up a collecton for each grandkid although finding one of each year/mint might get spendy, oh-well, can't take it with me, or can I? LOL

I am a few mints short of the first collection but have several of every year now. Most of them start at AU50, some slabbed, some not. MS65 is my highest coin. Just received my hardest to find coin so far, an 1895O, MS60. I have picked up a few Peace dollars in the process but I don't think I am going to do another collection, the morgans really float my boat. At first I bought EF to AU coins as I was not sure if I was going to go nuts on the collection. Well, the bug bit and I have been upgrading all of them, my collection is getting very impressive in my opinion. I am learning more than I thought I would and still realize I have a long ways to go. Some of the slabbed grading on coins make me scratch my head as I guessed they would be much lower on the scale. I have a good 30-40 I would love to have slabbed but when I look at the prices to do it... makes me think this old retired phart might have to go back to work to do this. Most of those are, as I am judging, atleast a 63, many a 65. A few look like mirrors, I guess called DMPL or PL. It is also coming a time I feel I need to sell some as I have up to 10 each of some years/mints. How did I get this many you ask? Well, I started buying rolls and have ended up with many duplicates. I know a person can sell most/all of them on eBay but I don't like that idea, would like to find an auction or sale site that does not rake you over the coals on sales. My feelings on those are, I used *MY* $$ to purchase these, not their $$ so they should not make their fortunes off my back.

Anywayz, I see I have lots of reading to do, have done alot on here so far so I look forward to being a member here, teach me well!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23720 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. As a general rule a coin needs to have a minimum retail value of $150 to justify all costs involved. Post some good photos in the appropriate sections and we will help you with grade. Enjoy our great site.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I have many I think qualify for that $$ threshold but I will probably post some here before I submit since I'm a roooookie. I've been scanning the photo section, sounds like it can be easy then hard to get good pics. I don't have a fancy camera but I do have an S7 cellphone that I think is a great camera, better than my min-pen slr. When I get time I will try to take some good pics but right now the fall chores have my old body beat up and much more work waiting to be done. Here in the frigid plains, winter is coming quick and I have a lot to do to prepare the animals/yard/equipment, etc.

Question, how do I change what shows as my name? I have a nick-name I prefer to use rather than my name.
Learn More...
United States
60291 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

I got your note. Just send us another one with the name you want and we can change it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4579 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If you are having fun, you are collecting the right way, whatever that way may be.

We are always helpful in grading if you post the photos.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2011 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stewillard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. To this great community. Iím also an old fart and new here. These folks are helpful, experienced and eager to help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5010 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
5580 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05