Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Truly Bizarre Jefferson Nickel - Error? What Is This?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,192Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  4:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1796NoPole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey, I'm mostly an EAC guy, but I have something that I have no idea what to make of and wanted to ask some error experts here. What this appears to be, is a 2006 Jefferson nickel struck over a slightly off-center 2005 nickel. The 2006 appears to be clearly struck over the 2005, as it should be for obvious reasons, and the understrike is in raised relief and not mirror-image, rather than incused and mirrored as in the ubiquitous "vise job" fakes of this ilk that are often encountered. I have no idea how one would even create something like this, short of possessing a genuine or counterfeit US Mint die for a 2005 nickel and striking an 06 with it, somehow weakly enough to make it look like an understrike. Even so, it would seem that if the understrike were actually embossed into the coin outside the mint, the original design would be heavily damaged or flattened, but instead it looks totally undisturbed, exactly as bold as it should be on a normal nickel, especially in the center; the weakness around the sides, where it interferes with the borders of the Buffalo and lettering on top of lettering, seems appropriate to a genuine overstrike. I've heard of coins struck over a coin of the previous date before, such as the famous 1974 nickel struck on a 1973 nickel, but as you'll notice, this is the Buffalo which was only minted in the first half of 2005, making this a truly strange combination. Even more strange is that the understrike appears to be uniface; I can make out no sign of a 2005 nickel understrike on the obverse, only the reverse. This would entail the coin having been uniface to begin with before receiving the 2006 overstrike, and I have no way to explain how that could be possible besides rogue Mint employee tomfoolery. It doesn't look like your typical fake mule concoction, to be sure, but with the confluence of unlikely errors it appears to have, it nonetheless just seems a little too preposterous to take seriously. Is there any way this could actually be legit? If not, what is the mechanism by which the faker could produce something that looks like this?

Here are some photos of the reverse:

And the obverse, which has no noticeable understrike.

Finally, some edge views, to show that it lays flat like a normal nickel, and is not bent out of shape or concave-convex, which would indicate it received a secondary impact post-mint.

Just what is this, and how could it be made, whether by the Mint or a counterfeiter?
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
710 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So totally new... but I am taking a stab at guessing.

Possibly a Brockage?

Or a double denomination? I definitely see another denomination though, "pluribus" under the word cent, looks to be from a Lincoln cent...?
Edited by Eyes4Error
09/20/2018 4:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man-made PMD. Hammered two coins together, impossible to have two different dies, sheesh!

Edited by Crazyb0
09/20/2018 4:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
710 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sheesh... newbies

Crazyb0 - Gotcha! Yes doesn't make sense to have a offset of the reverse and a cent impression on same coin. Makes sense now!

Again, I am new... had to think that one through
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48813 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the OP is thinking a little too hard here.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5111 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Possibly a Brockage?

I'd say someone probably broke the Hammer on this Nickel!
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
someone probably broke the Hammer on this Nickel!

OH! - so new numismatic term "BROKEAGE"
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, just some PMD, unfortunately.

Quote:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah just a vice Job with a 2005 bison nickel sorry
Pillar of the Community
United States
5111 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1796NoPole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the answers. I'm leaning that way as well, it's gotta be something like that. The only thing is, if it is a vise job, it's a much more carefully-made one than those of the ubiquitous standard variety, because it's in relief and not mirror. Consequently, it can't be a brockage either. I feel like none of the commenters addressed this at all, and too many posts were jokes. It could be a vise job made with a fake "die" cast from a 2005 nickel? Please be more specific. Also the impression is of a 2005 bison nickel slightly off center, not a Lincoln cent.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's done by a double-whammy. Take a metal slug, smash the bison into it, grind edge down(note small circle) then whack or press said slug. I would venture to say this was done by a hydraulic shop press @ 10k lbs force. Impression is more than a sledgehammer would produce.
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1796NoPole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense. Much better response than any of the above by far, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
710 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah yes I see the Bison now... I was thinking there were a few things smashed in there... lol

I see Crazyb0 has an answer above!

LOL... you have to admit BROKEAGE was pretty funny though...
Edited by Eyes4Error
09/20/2018 6:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6825 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pleased to read that this is hopefully resolved .... yes?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,192Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05