Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Current state large notes/market

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm bumping this thread because I've been looking to enter the US large paper money market too.

I am especially attracted to the "Educational" series: $1 to $5 notes. So my question is what should I expect to pay for (in UNC 60-66 PQ):

A) $1.00
B) $2.00
C) $5.00

Also, from my quick research into these, are there any particular signature combinations to look out for? (Thanks in advance)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29529 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2018  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please be a little more specific as to which TPG and what grade. The spread on all three from 60 to 66 is enormous.
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2018  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about PMG 62-64?
Thanks again,
W2W
Pillar of the Community
United States
1215 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am especially attracted to the "Educational" series: $1 to $5 notes. So my question is what should I expect to pay for (in UNC 60-66 PQ):

Answer: whatever you'll allow sellers to charge you. GO SHOPPING! Don't settle for the first one you encounter; be selective; and above all SET A GOAL (grade and $$$) and STICK with it. Patience is truly a virtue in this hobby. Just my "3 cents worth" (due to inflation)

Learn More...
United States
62470 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just my "3 cents worth" (due to inflation)
Nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1440 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give yourself time to look over different notes...don't worry if one gets away...they'll be more.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
1215 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Give yourself time to look over different notes...don't worry if one gets away...they'll be more.

Yep, there are many in the market. Unless it's so rare then you'll have to put up the cash for certain.

I've just finished trolling 5 upcoming auctions, lots of nice stuff; so I put in a few of my minimally acceptable bids -- if I win great and if not there will be others. Patience my lad, patience.
Now, I'll just wait till Saturday and see how many "You've won" emails I receive from the auction houses.

Edited by techwriter
11/06/2018 5:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29529 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RE the Educational notes - in TPG 63PQ, you might be talking close to $2K, around $4.5K and around $7.5K, respectively. And 63s aren't always that nice to look at.
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys!

Thanks Coinfrog for putting some estimates out there. From what I've seen (& their high asking prices) this could be one long term goal!

W2W
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29529 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many collectors, including me and Steve in Tampa, prefer to own these notes in EF-45/AU-55PQ grades with good centering. Much less expensive but with most of the pizzaz of nice new examples.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1215 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I've never forgiven myself for selling my XF-AU set back in early 90s but was building a new house. Anyway that's the way it is.
Now, found these listed currently available on eBay.
1. $1 PMG AU55 $1549 (free shipping)
2. $2 PMG VF30 $1659 (free shipping)
3. $5 PMG VF30 $4250 (free shipping)

Well, at least you'd save a little with free shipping.

Have not check the Heritage or Lyn Knight offerings; nor a few others but
I'm certain they're available.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29529 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These notes are hardly scarce and are usually available in almost any grade. Their high price reflects their status as one-design type notes and, of course, their artistic beauty which differs so radically from any other US paper money design before or since.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1215 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 16th Edition World Paper Money guide (2016) puts the UNC at:
a) $1400
b) $4250
c) $10,000
but obviously these estimates are dated and I haven't seen anything close to this on eBay (so that's why I was asking your opinions).

"Coinfrog," I agree that their high BV is all about their artistic designs (which is whats got me so interested).

"Techwriter" I could easily settle for an attractive AU but not sure how much lower on the others

Thanks again for your input.

W2W
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05