Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Copper Bullion Rounds/Bars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,514Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not counting pennies here. But should you have copper bullion in your stack? Pros and cons please. Do you have them in your stack? To air-tite them or not?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13788 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I bought about 15 of them a few years ago from provident only because they were cheap and interesting . Not something I would consider stacking . Might have a premium in about 50 years from now .
Not worth the costs of air-tites . Wrapped mine in anti tarnish tissue I had from my early collecting years .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Edited by T-BOP
09/28/2018 7:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see them selling at Provident Metals for .99 each but I think copper spots much less than that.
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper as a stack metal is ambiguous at best. It has always been a low value metal and is consistently recycled throughout industrial uses from electrical wiring and plumbing. To me it is only viable IN THE MOMENT, not as long term investment and I will explain. Copper has NEVER been in short supply, it is easily mined and processed, along with recycling prices have remained consistent for decades. What usually ISN'T accepted readily at the recyclers are coins, not only is it illegal, but it costs MORE to refine and extrude a 99% pure metal usable as any copper product. The 5% alloy mix becomes sludge, and basically scrap...where do they put it is the nagging question without violating gubmint pollution regulations?

These last points will factor highly in the future if and when the ban is lifted and coins can then meet the melting pot. All the massive amounts hoarded, any attempt will turn into a mass wave, flooding the market with an over-abundance of potential product...there is just TOO MUCH there. This means two things. 1) the price offered per pound will be WAY under any melt value because of supply and demand functions. 2) recyclers will TURN AWAY coins in favor of rated bullion as they do now, they won't need that much product.

Conclusion: Copper hoarders will be "left holding the bag", literally. They will not be able to unload their stash, or will only make way less than 1/2 cent per coin. Now with the demonetizing of the cent, which precludes allowing the melt, your hoard has LOST OVER HALF it's intrinsic face value. As an investment, really, really bad deal. It would have been better to convert while it held a real value to something that would appreciate in value. If you are going to stack copper, it best be quality bullion(bars/rounds), not coins.

Now, do notice I mentioned nothing @ roll stacking. That's a different animal, the intrinsic value is numismatic, not metallic. Collectability is the key, now true, with the millions put up by many, these may never garner a very high rate of return, but it seems all coins do increase over time.
Edited by Crazyb0
09/28/2018 8:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4005 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I consider copper rounds as novelty. I have all the Provident Zombuck proof rounds and dozens of the regular strike.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Might have a premium in about 50 years from now

LOL! Another novelty to have them bullion companies make money! COPPER ROUNDS? Give me a break - soon they will be selling sea shells by the sea shore -
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10683 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  12:16 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who would sell seashells by the seashore?

I have some copper rounds, but not for the metallic content, specifically. I have a set of Zombucks because I like the artwork and premise. I got a set of coppers (some proof, some BU) because I didn't care to, and couldn't afford, the silvers. So, metal had something to do with it, but to the opposite effect. Thinking of it now, they may be best represented in copper over silver. I may still get my favorite design (Starving Liberty) in silver.

I also have a CCF medal in fine copper. I bid on the last silver, but it got out of my range quickly. Until next time!
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4005 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have some copper rounds, but not for the metallic content, specifically. I have a set of Zombucks because I like the artwork and premise.
Same here. The contrast between the silver and copper artwork in a custom set looks really nice.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Canada
20 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silvercoin2011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me is waste of time and space ! I have only one indian buffalo as I collect silver and gold buffalos I bought one in a coin show. even silver is headache when you reach thousands of ounces. I'm trying to sell the maximum goal is to reach less than 500 ounces only best ones in my collection. Gold's is the best, small weight carrying a lot of FIAT.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10683 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  02:23 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...even silver is headache when you reach thousands of ounces.

If you have headaches-worth in silver, I would happily remove the burden.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2018  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add janknez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have six or eight copper rounds that I've bought just because they were shiny and pretty and I liked the design. I do put them in AirTites to keep them shiny and pretty. Also I bought a box of 50 capsules thinking I was out, and then I found another box, so I've got plenty to spare.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see these as a bullion investment. But if you like collecting medals for their artistic beauty, some of these have great designs and the cost is low. There may be collector demand for these in the future, just not their metal content.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2214 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2018  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're buying copper rounds at a copper price of $16.0/lb...it's base metal...would you buy a gold 1oz. bullion round for $6,000?

KK
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BobL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've noticed that in the past ten years copper prices have been keeping up with silver and gold on a percentage which is six about six times from 2010.
They Mau come in handy for when shtf ad barter for smaller items.
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,514Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05