Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help with 1976 Canadian 1 cent coin. Could it be a mint error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
0 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  12:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinrookie4576 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Hi everyone, I have a 1976 canadian penny and it has smooth almost perfectly rounded edges that seem to have risen while pushing inwards to the coin. What could be the reason for this? Also on the interior edge of the ridge, there is flaking as if the coin has been pressed under a lot of pressure. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5520 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

Looks like a dryer coin or possibly been spooned.
No matter the cause, it was not done at the mint
so is not an error.
No extra value but you can keep as a novelty coin.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nemlas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error. Someone was going to make a ring out of it.
Canada
0 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinrookie4576 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for clearing that up JimmyD and nemlas! I realize now that I made the mistake of posting this in the Introduction forum!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5520 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a problem. Happens often.
I have asked one of the mods to move posting
to the proper forum.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nemlas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinrookie Stick around you will see one of these a week posted. There is so much to learn and some experts on here. After years I am still a rookie also.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
532 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spooned
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6163 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.

Check this out:
http://goccf.com/t/109624

Edited by Dorado
10/10/2018 02:38 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1532 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it looks alot like when I turned a silver dollar into a ring by lightly hammering the edge a few thousand times.... you can see the step by step process here
http://goccf.com/t/234774
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Edited by gidjit
10/11/2018 8:58 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05