Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Time Trying to Clean/Attribute Ancients

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
310 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  06:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently bought one of the many lots on eBay of the uncleaned Ancient Roman coins. My sons and I cleaned them up, but I found that its pretty hard to attribute them. This is the video of us trying. :) I have been collecting for nearly four years now and this was the most fun I have had with the hobby... like ever. I feel a new addiction coming!

I am sure there are experts on here that can help us attribute them correctly. Let us know if we were wrong or not. :)

Make sure to click the [CC] button for English subs!

2P7GpSvf6J8
Edited by Lembafc
10/11/2018 06:45 am
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great video. I was surprised by the hangul. I thought ancient collectors were rare in America. They must be rarer in your neck of the woods.
Excellent work. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Learn More...
United States
21712 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice video.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a fantastic site for help with attribution. However, I don't like to bother these serious collectors with my corroded bronze too often, so I try other sites first. This is my favorite: http://numismatics.org/ocre/identify. Then once I'm pretty sure of the emperor I follow it up at http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/i.html Usually scan down in "thumbnail format". Note: Sometimes you have to refresh once or twice to get a connect.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OOOps. Take the period off the "numismatics" link before you try it.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
310 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome! Thanks for the links!
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
310 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jskirwin I don't think there are many of any ancients collectors here lol I'm sure there is interest but it's expensive to ship stuff here. Luckily I have the Army Post Office :)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1007 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy your vids on metal detecting there always interesting, but one thing you will notice when cleaning old roman coins there will always be those odd coins that you won't be able to attribute because of ware,after many years of cleaning coins I'm still trying to attribute coins in my collection that is the ones that are worn beyond identification.
cheers Harry
Harry
Edited by nuggethill
10/14/2018 09:07 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05