Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins With Hats

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,416 / Views: 111,092Next Topic
Page: of 162
Learn More...
United States
116464 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
21270 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1966 Australia.
50 Cents - Elizabeth II 2nd Portrait - Round type.

A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I return once more to the 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial commemorative half dollar, this time to take a closer look at the hat being worn by the standing figure of Liberty on the coin's reverse.

It is a common artistic approach to depict Liberty wearing a Phrygian cap as a symbol of freedom and liberty. The figure on the Lynchburg coin might be wearing such a cap (though I haven't seen it described as such), but it does not have the characteristic form/shape that is typically seen. To my eyes, the hat looks more like the brimless cloche hats that were popular with women in the US in the late-1920s to mid-1930s. I wonder if Charles Keck, the designer of the coin, desired to modernize his depiction of Liberty on the coin via a contemporary hat? Keck using contemporary references for his design would not have been out of the question.

Virginia Senator Carter Glass is seen on the coin's obverse. He initially opposed his portrait being used for the coin, but was unable to find any laws on the books that would preclude its use by the Lynchburg Sesqui-Centennial Association (the coin's sponsor), so he ultimately gave in to their wishes.

Glass was a well-respected and powerful Senator from Virginia who served in the Senate from 1919 until his death in May 1946; his final years were hindered by poor health, however, and after June of 1942, he was effectively absent from Senate sessions though he continued to be re-elected. Prior to his time in the Senate, Glass served in the House of Representatives from 1909 to 1918 when he resigned to take the position of US Secretary of the Treasury under President Woodrow Wilson. Glass served as the honorary chairman of the Sesqui-Centennial Association.

1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

You can find other of my posts about the Lynchburg half dollar here:

- 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial
- 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial - Coins Depicting Places Thread
- 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial - Mythology on Coins Thread

To read other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
21270 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100 dollars - Elizabeth II
1976 Montreal Olympics.
Composition Gold (.5833)

Commemorative issue
1976 Montreal Olympic Games

(Coin # 1 of 5)
Learn More...
United States
116464 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples!

Quote:
I wonder if Charles Keck, the designer of the coin, desired to modernize his depiction of Liberty on the coin via a contemporary hat? Keck using contemporary references for his design would not have been out of the question.
Fascinating!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
21270 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1985 Fiji
20 Cents - Elizabeth II 2nd portrait

Learn More...
United States
116464 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1985 Fiji 20 Cents - Elizabeth II 2nd portrait
Very nice!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
21270 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1788 UK
1 Penny Anglesey - Parys Mines Co. / Druid

-
Learn More...
United States
116464 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
21270 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1955 Eastern Caribbean States
25 Cents - Elizabeth II 1st portrait.

Learn More...
United States
116464 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1557 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pakistan, 1 Rupee 1998
The description back when I first got this would have been; copper coin with a man wearing a fez, the date, and on the back some type of building Arabic maybe Persian.

In fact the guy on front is not wearing a fez and is the founder of Pakistan Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah in Urdu. The Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

The reverse has a mosque, not the Taj Mahal as I thought once.

Edited by wannabfree
04/03/2021 11:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Increasing your knowledge/understanding of the coins you collect is a terrific thing! Congats on your new-found knowledge about your Pakistan coin!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
04/03/2021 11:19 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1557 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Increasing your knowledge/understanding of the coins you collect is a terrific thing! Congats on your new-found knowledge about your Pakistan coin!

Thanks for the encouragement.
Learn More...
United States
116464 Posts
Page: of 162 Previous TopicReplies: 2,416 / Views: 111,092Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: