Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S (weak) VDB Lincoln Cent "To V or Not to V" you vs NGC

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15265 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck! I hope that coin is just an anomaly for the issue. What I'm wondering is if CAC even does authentication? I thought all they cared about was the quality of the coin for the given grade? I think the better choice would have to attempt a crossover to PCGS, JMHO.

Can you make out the die chip in the upper loop of the S? I just can't see it in the pictures. I found another example with a weak VDB. The issue is the MM still, even on coins graded down to G, the MM is clear.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-ce...ot=1&x=0&y=0

Maybe it took an unfortunate hit to the MM. However, if I was a TPG I wouldn't authentic it unless I could nail the diagnostics....especially the most often faked and most reliable one....the MM.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
11/07/2018 9:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11048 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I'm wondering is if CAC even does authentication?

Yes, they do everything. Authentication is a huge part of detecting doctoring. If they feel something is fake or an added mint mark ect they will say so and note it. It's very rare for a fake to be in PCGS/NGC holders so you don't really hear about it much
Pillar of the Community
United States
1293 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember the devices such as the mm and date get "smooshed" with wear. Subsequently they would expand and throw off the lines drawn from them. I think, it matches one of the known mint marks. I have an 09 with polished off VDB, that you can see fairly easily in AU that I'm sure would be almost impossible to do see in VG. This could be what you are looking at.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05