Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960's LMC devices--just thick or what?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2018  9:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got a mere 4 rolls of customer-wrapped pennies this evening and they're going to have me up all night for sure. Not only are there a disproportionate number of nice grade ones; there are a bunch of error-looking ones, especially the 60's (P and D). I'm comparing them to VV photos, THINKING they check out for double dies, but I've been wrong so many times before. So before I freak myself out and have my worst facepalm ever.....even before I try to photograph these.....let me just ask: is lots of extra thickness in obverse devices just a normal "60's penny" thing? I don't have any other 60's to compare these 6 roll pennies to (1961-66). All I have is my wheaties and 70's+ to compare. I do see notable changes in font styles and sizes, but as far as projection from the field, were 60's just made to pop out like crazy?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6857 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2018  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1960s LMCs were known to have thicker devices. I think it was due to the master hub being worn out.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2018  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my experience going through rolls, yes. If you compare a 68 and a 69 together you can see there was a change in relief between the two. The bust doesn't pop out as much in the later dates and the lettering is cleaner.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, crud. I suspected there was something like that going on. By the way I went ahead and went through a jar of discards and did find a couple of 69's, and yup, those look much flatter than these earlier ones, cleaner too. Still, that doesn't mean none of these are DDO's. I guess I will try to get pics of these 5 (four 64's and a 66; the 61 was a mistake to consider because there's no DDO for 61 in VV; just DDR and I don't see anything on it).
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay so never mind the 66; looking at better I see a couple corrosion spots, no future for that guy. But here are the 64's. My camera did indeed fail to capture the depth, so I don't know. I guess I'll take them to a shop and see if I could get a simple yes or no for free or cheap.

Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna have to run straight back to this bank and see if I can luck out and get any more of this crazy customer's coins. I've looked closely at only about 100 of these 200, and it's as exciting as it is intriguing. Like what was this dude's deal? I say 'dude' because I've developed an image of him, ha.
Like he took pretty good care of some pennies, maybe by accident......

Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But then he willfully MURDERED others. --Okay show us on the coin where 1991 hurt you. (I can't find the one punctured by an icepick beyond recognition, I guess I chucked it.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  03:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, then there's THIS freak. It had a wad of something covering Abe's suit, it was the same blue-green of corrosion, but I easily pushed it off with my thumb, and that brilliance was underneath.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05