Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spanish silver 8 reales: Ferdinand VII

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  1:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pyro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. This coin was passed on to me by my brother in law (now deceased). About 15 years ago I did some online research and it was listed as rather rare because of the SF mint mark. Since then life is such I forgot about it. Now my curiosity has sparked again, but I can't find any info whatsoever. Does anyone know about this coin? Is it real/fake? What does SF stand for... it's been a while. :-) thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
759 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwoKopeiki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a rather obvious imitation of a Catalunya (Mallorca) 8 Reales.

Here's an original example you can compare yours to:
Learn More...
United States
62440 Posts
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your quick reply, TwoKopeiki. Though I wished it would turn out to be a 'real' 8 reales it looks like it's a 'real' beautiful fake. :-) Something about it intrigued me: there is more wear on the king side compared to the-almost perfect backside. Ah well, and all these years I was delusional that I had a treasure in my collection. :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like those llamas with their fists raised on the coat of arms on the OP's coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5681 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum..

Check this out:

http://www.fuenterrebollo.com/faqs-...ataluna.html

Quote:
I like those llamas with their fists raised on the coat of arms on the OP's coin.

Llamas ?

As an examples:

Llamas

Pillar of the Community
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed!

Which looks like a lion, and which looks (more than a little) like a llama?

(Though perhaps the three eared variety )
Edited by tdziemia
11/09/2018 6:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1821 Numismatic Forgery has been around for a decade or two and it is a centrifugal casting that included the edge. The copies I own have three edge seam lines (one is visible on your coin.)

Personally I think the forgers (Chinese) were trying to make the Lions look too much like Dragons.

One major error they made in this case is that they used a colonial edge instead of one of the mainland diagonal designs.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05