Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post your Numismatic Good Deeds here.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  9:32 pm Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seems kinda obscure but here's the general gist. Someone asks you if this this old coin is valuable for example an 09'S VDB. They're asking $10 and you tell them the real value, stuff like that. Not reallyl cherrypicks, more times where you've had or seen someone have an opportunity to take advantage and didn't. Here's one from me,

My classmate pulled out a silver dollar he got from a friend, the friend needed $4 and gave it to him for the quick cash. The silver dollar was a nice AU-50 1880-O morgan, upon closer inspection it turned out to be a "hot lips" DDO! He was asking $10 for it and I quickly corrrected him and sent him to the local LCS where he sold it for $500!

Post stuff like that or, old lady next door was handing out Seated quarters for change and didn't realize it.

Have fun with it.
ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Playadelrey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) I went to the bank earlier today to exchange $142 of loose change I had rolled. A little boy and his mom was in front of me and he was goofing around while waiting in line. I pulled out a roll of pennies, gave it to him, and said with a wink to the mom, "can you go open this up and count them for me? If you get to 50, you can have them." No more goofing around.

2) A few weeks ago sat next to a WWII buff during a wedding. I asked his partner for a business card before he left, then a few days ago mailed him a nice 1943 steel penny. No return address, no note, just a penny.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8291 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  01:38 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
old lady next door was handing out Seated quarters for change and didn't realize it.

I don't know how old this hypothetical lady is, but I'd be plenty happy with silver Washingtons and maybe an SLQ or two.

As far as "numismatic good deeds", I think, for me, they all have origins in this forum: CCF. I have participated in the Secret Santa (and will again; anxious for my assignment) and the NFL contest (lost both times now). I have also run many contests of my own to ultimately give out free stuff, and often to members across the globe. I donated several used coin folders and tubes of old Buffalo and Jeff nickels to a member to be given out at the ANA World's Fair of Money in Denver to spark interest in young people.

I now have a small collection of older Red Books to give out somehow. The price lists may be outdated (like they meant anything to begin with...), but all the info about the coins up to the book's publication year is there, so they can be great learning tools with a lot of important information. I just don't know how or where to distribute them, yet.

Congratulations to our "carmine-hosed Boston warriors"! 2018 World Champions

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
11/09/2018 01:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3668 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this sort of qualifies.

Back when I was working on my FE/IHC set I bought an 1858 FE (slabbed MS something; probably -63 or -64) from MFD.
Sometime later when I was using my leisure time to look through my cherrypicker's guide I found that the coin looked like a 1858/7.
So I shipped it to either PCGS or NGC and, BINGO, it came back as the overdate.
After considering what to do for quite a while I finally returned it to the dealer (after all he's MFD) for a straight graded 1858 -- and a LOT of goodwill.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I donated the only NGC "release ceremony" designated 2012 Star-Spangled Banner Commemorative coins to the Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine.

DbCaN7OfZgA

https://coins.www.collectors-societ....aspx?s=9738
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05