Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1894 Indian Head Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
6009 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  11:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$24. The 1894 is the scarcest date in the 1890s for this series. Coin looks to have full separation between the headband and hair. Thoughts on grade and problems? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-45
Pillar of the Community
United States
7379 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-45
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30268 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7458 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF40, but the color is wrong.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9373 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 I would give it a soak in acetone to try to remove a lot of that crud on reverse . Now that I look at it again this coin was probably cleaned and retoned .Hence Adams comment about color being off . I would send it back to seller if you could .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
1774 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just makes XF-40. Looks good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6614 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF40. has the look of a cleaned coin
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Commander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm confused on the comment"looks like a cleaned coin" then a suggestion to use acetone to remove crud. Please explain.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6009 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The color of the coin looks a little unnatural. It could be due to cleaning, or the lighting when the photo was taken. I was guessing the later when I made the purchase. I will examine the coin carefully and provide my own photos when I receive it.

Usually acetone is a solvent that, most of the time, will not damage a coin, although on copper coins, it can affect the color of the oxidized top layer. E$specially if there is something on the coin like a transparent layer of glue that gets dissolved and exposes the surface to oxygen and oxidizes the coin. For many coin collectors, soaking the coin in acetone is not considered "cleaning."
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30268 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be sure to comment when you get it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7379 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm confused on the comment"looks like a cleaned coin" then a suggestion to use acetone to remove crud. Please explain.

NS is correct about the acetone.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lighting and color of the photo often make coins look like they were cleaned. It has an unnatural look but I'm guessing it's the photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6009 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2018  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one came in. Color looks ok to me. I looked at LIBERTY on the headband carefully and it is pretty sharp. Lack of color contrast makes it look weaker in the picture.

Taken at angle
Edited by numismatic student
Yesterday 12:00 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05