Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Side Blank Canadian Error Coin , Other Side Is The Queen

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with everyone else: PMD.
You can plainly see the file/grind marks on the 'blank' side.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No there is no rim on the flat blank side. There wouldn't be a rim if it had struck two blank planchets at the same time you would not see an edge.

Yes there would be a rim, you have to understand the minting process.
The rim is put on the blank planchet by the upsetting machine before the coin is struck.
And as stated earlier, if two planchets did get struck at the same time,you would have an entirely different looking coin.
So for the second time, your coin is PMD, not an error.
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wolf705247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you weighed every planchet that was turned into a coin during 1979 , 1980 , and 1981 you would not get 3.24, 2.8 and 2.8 every single time. There is going to be some fluctuations and I believe 0.01 is an appropriate fluctuation weather it be 2.9 or 2.7. I am getting this coin certified I will post the results for those who are curious. Thanks for all your input, very much appreciated.
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2018  12:19 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR MONEY !!

You can see the obvious scratch marks, then someone scratched the "rectangle" with something else.

Planchets are blank and smooth before striking (I have some), not all marked up, and they have a rim, which would hit against the other planchet's rim and squish towards the middle, not disappear.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2018  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why some people waste our time on here.
No matter how many people more knowledgeable tell them the
right answer, they still insist that they are right.
If the OP wants to waste his money getting it graded, then
I say go ahead it's not my loss.
I'm sure this will be the last we hear of this coin.
Edited by JimmyD
12/15/2018 08:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2018  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like those file marks aren't an obvious clue! The TPGs should put out a "greatest hits" of goofy coin submissions!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1507 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  09:41 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD no more no less.
Learn More...
Canada
8608 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am getting this coin certified I will post the results for those who are curious.

There is only one certifier in Canada who handles errors, and that is CCCS. It will cost you about $20 for a single coin submission (plus shipping).

NGC and PCGS in the US do certify errors, and with the CAN-US currency exchange, and shipping costs, it will cost you $75 (approximately) for a single coin submission.

Or, you could listen to the experts here, me being one of them (I collect Canadian small cent errors):

- your coin was not struck on a split planchet
http://goccf.com/t/330437

- your coin was not struck through another coin (note the rim on the blank side)
http://goccf.com/t/271556

You need to learn about the minting process, before you can make such bold assumptions. Even blank planchets, have raised rims.
http://goccf.com/t/194021

You have a full rim on one side, and no rim on the other, therefore it was NOT struck on a Type 1 blank.

You have a normal coin whereby someone filed or ground down the reverse. I could make that same "error" in about 10 minutes in my garage. It is junk, it is worth nothing more than a conversation piece...

Transition strikes do occur, but are uncommon:
http://goccf.com/t/285686

Lastly, to CCF - there are a ton of threads here on errors, so take advantage of the CCF search engine and open your mind - when it comes to errors, we are all always learning...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8608 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe 0.01 is an appropriate fluctuation weather it be 2.9 or 2.7.

It is not, the range of tolerance is much more than 0.1 grams. Go ahead and open a mint roll of uncirculated coins from any year and weigh them... the results might surprise you...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05