Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953 D Penny Is The Date Doubled Or Double ?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
39 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  08:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coin2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Edited by coin2020
12/17/2018 12:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you please post clearer pictures of the obverse and reverse?
Proud ANA Member #3193470 & CCF Member.
39 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I'll try to get better pics
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3426 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many Doubled images, I think the camera was either out of focus or a shaky hand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40518 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll stick around for this one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This does look interesting...either a DDO and maybe DDR or...bad images? Which one will win? I'm betting on shaky pictures as Jimmy said...
Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get - Forrest Gump

Finally building up my own Lincoln Cent Collection! Check it out here: http://goccf.com/t/349472

Best Circulation/CRH Find So Far: http://goccf.com/t/349510
Edited by SilverCents
12/17/2018 12:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4302 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way of telling without a focused and clear picture. this looks like your hand shook when picture was taken!

Quote:
maybe DDR

It can not be a DDR since the picture is taken from the obverse.
39 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol if I was shaky the 3 behind the 3 wouldn't be pointing downward I wouldn't think
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3426 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last pic you posted seems to be an edited photo from the first photo posted. Both are still extremely blurry. Please retake photos of your cent along with pics of the reverse. There are no 1953 D Lincoln cents with that type of doubling your photos are displaying. It would be great if you had the first one undocumented but without clear pics of the obverse and reverse I would have to go with a normal cent with problems with your camera setup. And, I agree with Chase, it cannot be a DDR since no pictures of the reverse were provided.
Edited by Jim0815
12/17/2018 1:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I know what is going on here. Notice how the mintmark was doubled as well, which would be highly unlikely because the mintmarks were applied by hand until 1990 (note the 1960 D/D Small/Large Date was made through two separate die events). The mintmark is in the same position relative to the date on the doubled image as well. I would venture to say that this is probably a counterfeit double strike made using a soft die. What they probably did was use the coin to make a die, then struck the coin again, or something along those lines. I could be wrong, and better photos of the whole coin would be helpful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
591 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either coin2020 is in on a hoax, or he took the picture and saw the doubling after the fact and decided to see responses he'd get from a poor photo. OTHERWISE, why would he have taken a photo of that coin in the first place.

Dan
Pillar of the Community
United States
8711 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper pictures, please.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol, accidentally midread a person's quote, sorry, don't mind me.........

But I don't think it's a hoax because these are commonly counterfeited. Post pics front and back bc a true double strike will have both sides doubled.
Edited by CoinCollector2000
12/17/2018 1:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
591 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just finished going through about 100, 1953-D LWC's. The best I could find was the mint mark MD.

Dan
39 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really cannot believe I just read these comments, Unbelievable if I want to pull a hoax I sure as heck wouldn't put it on here where your supposed to be very knowledgeable about every aspect. Obviously some need more educated. Anyway, that is a real coin, and nobody is pulling a childish hoax. And I really don't no of a camera that can pull that off. When I get home from work I will post the back of the coin. I am new to this site so excuse me for not posting every little detail. Please don't assume if you really don't no, it's just a little coin people.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3426 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh, just noticed that the whole obverse pic was removed and replaced with another edited pic of the date was put in its place. Either you want us to believe you have something, which you don't, or you are hoping we will buy into this hoax. If this is not a hoax then please post pics of the obverse and reverse.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05