Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman? Old Find With Majic Wand

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
609 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  5:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found many years back, I think Roman but I'm truely clueless (about the coin too).

Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4260 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it might be a commemorative series issue with, perhaps, a reverse of Victory holding scepter and resting hand on shield. Here's the reverse, rotated, below. Recommend moving this to the Ancients/Medieval section.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5619 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Constantinopolis commemorative minted under Constantine or his sons, late 330s. Very common type.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
609 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How would this get graded and are they worth anything?

edit: just looked these up, this one is probably not worth the stamp to send it somewhere.... LOL, still, what would it grade, a 1?
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
12/28/2018 8:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4150 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2018  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is probably worth nothing unfortunately - high quality examples are readily available at low prices. They issued these in huge numbers right across the empire to commemorate the capital moving to Byzantium (which was renamed 'Constantinople' in short order). At the same time, a separate design commemorated the old capital, Rome. The faces on these coins are the personifications of the cities.

As for grading, grades don't really exist for ancient coins because of how many important points there are to the value of a coin. Some grading services grade on strike and surface (etc) but it's easier to 'grade' by putting together a statement on how the coin looks, which is a subjective thing. Some people would label this a 'grot', but I'd say the details are okay and the problem is an unstable surface (on handling: keep the coin dry. The surfaces look soft, but if it is properly dried and waxed, it would probably last indefinitely).
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2018  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for grading, grades don't really exist for ancient coins...

And alleluia for that. I came to ancients 5 years ago from US modern coins where everything is graded. Good for the grading companies, bad for the hobby. With ancients we actually handle the coins and sometimes even clean them.

That coin is ~17 centuries old and has been sitting in the ground for most of that time. It needs to be held and appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
609 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is. Not a great coin, not a fancy coin, but it is the only roman coin I found metal detecting. It was a great day, drank some awesome german wine, very nice lunch that day. Got to bring it back from germany! Sometimes I wonder, how it was lost, who owned it, if it's loss caused a hardship on someone or was spent to buy a guy's wife a nice present, etc. Like I said, it's not much, but it's mine!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05