Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Ever Buy Anything From The Bradford Exchange?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 3,810Next Topic  

United States
29 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  11:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add matt242 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My coin buying is limited to online and local coin and pawn shops. But googling Morgan dollars I ran across this.

https://www.bradfordexchange.com/sp...-RARE-UNIQUE

Won't even give you information regarding price, you have to call first. Then I looked at their full set of Walking Liberty halves and it states "we will ship it to you when it becomes available. 1-2 months".

I don't have that kind of dough that they ask for on a monthly basis but didn't know if you guys have ever invested in these coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8042 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an investment.
Caveat Emptor
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
3547 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't do it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, don't. Just don't. Here's another example that's a little clearer: https://www.bradfordexchange.com/pr...lection.html

This is a "The Complete U.S. Indian Head Gold Quarter Eagle Collection", one of each issue in the series. Their asking price is $899 each issue. The slab in the picture is NGC "Genuine", i.e. ungradeable. I can buy the common dates in MS63/CAC for less than $650. Spot value is less than $150 today. That $899 they're asking could get you an MS64, maybe higher/CAC for at least some of these issues. The uncommon issues would set you back a lot more, but on the whole, you can do a lot better building your own set of graded coins for the same money.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
01/25/2019 12:53 am
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matt242 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I have no interest in buying these I just thought it sounded like a scam. Of course they are there to make money but there is no information regarding the coins other than you get all of them. No grading whatsoever.

Thanks for replying.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19429 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like many other similar companies, just out to make a large profit on anything.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16795 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On that "complete" quarter eagle set they say "One of every "forbidden" Indian Head Gold Quarter Eagle Coin ever issued" but if you count the number of slots in the display box for the set there are only 13 slots. The Indian quarter eagle was issued in 13 years but there are 16 coins in a complete set. I would bet their "complete" set is just a date set and you aren't going to get the 11 D.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beachnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Run, don't walk.

I was the executor of my elderly uncles estate. He purchased many items from the Bradford Exchange. I found many coins cleaning out his house and his mail was inundated with pamphlets. There wasn't a price on most of them. One was for a Susan B. Anthony. "silver dollar". I did find that "silver dollar" and eventually found the invoice for it. $49.95 plus shipping. I only wish he had talked to me first.

Don't do it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
788 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The name sounds familiar, as in a company a bought collector plates from many, many years ago. Aside from that, no.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
3547 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Condor, the way I read it, the quarter eagle set is just a date set. So no 11-D. My impression is that this Bradford Exchange outfit is just marketing to those not familiar with numismatics and charging over-inflated prices for essentially common items, not unlike Littleton. OP, sorry but it appears your uncle fell victim to this scheme and you probably will be disappointed in the liquidation value.

Edited by jimbucks
01/27/2019 5:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16795 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do some research and searching around and you will probably find you can peuchase those NFL gifts, jewelry, and other personalized gifts much cheaper elsewhere.

Yes the coins the Bradford Exchange sells are real, but take that Walking Liberty half set. People will think they are getting a complete set when they are actually getting just a date set. There is also no mention of what the condition of the coins will be. So the non-collector who buys the set will most likely get a date set of circulated coins, most of which will be worth little more than bullion, about $6.50 at a cost of $50 apiece. And they start you out, not with the first coin in the set, but most common one and then follow with the other very common ones. They say you can cancel at any time and that is what they are hoping. That they can sell you a BUNCH of common $6.50 coins for $50 each and that you will drop out before they have to send you any of the more expensive ones.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over hyped and over priced. Set of every proof Morgan for $39 each? "Includes every Morgan silver dollar proof design ever issued, RECREATED in stunning"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3437 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take your money and separate it into two piles.

Take one pile and buy from a reputable dealer or even a site like APMEX's random date - https://www.apmex.com/product/167/1...-random-year

Take the other pile and flush it down the commode.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49632 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This company has been selling worthless collector garbage for decades. Enameled plates, Christmas ornaments, figurines, you name it. What's left of the Parade Sunday supplement would have folded long ago if it weren't for their smarmy ads.
Edited by Coinfrog
07/10/2020 6:22 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 3,810Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05