Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Counterfeit 1893-S Morgan In A Fake PCGS Holder?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
114 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  05:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sumausa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
This is the coin in question:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-S-Mor...LH_Auction=1

Red flags for me:

1) The grade of the coin listed as "F15" does not, in my opinion, have the same details of a PCGS Photograde F15. The coin in this auction looks XF or possible AU details. Notably: Very sharp reverse wing detail and obverse hair details. Much better than F15 would be.

2) The serif in "F15" on the "F" looks incorrect. Compare the middle serif on this holder to one on another PCGS F15 Morgan; the middle serif appears to be shorter on other holders.

3) The "3" in "1893" on the holder looks incorrect.

4) The hyphen between "1893" and "S" in "1893-S" is too close, practically touching the "S" in the eBay ad.

There are other issues, but I digress.

I have attached photos of both the suspect coin and the HA coin used for comparison. Let me know your opinion.

Poll Choices
  Looks real
  Looks fake or counterfeit

Pillar of the Community
United States
8659 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is most certainly a fake. The date position is off by one full denticle. The only obverse die used for 1893-S was a far date position, this piece of junk is a near date position.

I'm sure Bobby will get this listing nuked in time...
Member SSDC
Edited by dave700x
02/10/2019 07:19 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11403 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely fake slab. Label and hologram are wrong
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17409 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to much fake stuff going around.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9972 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just to much fake stuff going around.

I fear for the future newbie collector .
This kind of scam is the worst thing that could happen to our hobby .
I see a big one on the horizon , and it's getting bigger . All hands stand by . Getting real close .

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32165 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2297 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% Fake

Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, even I see that as a fake! It looks polished for starters.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1194 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  11:13 am  Show Profile   Check babysitr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
have an F-15 in my hand......that one is sure different.....how sad!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8659 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the counterfeit example is no where near F15 wear level, more like and AU coin.
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$89.60 on the scumbag site with a legit MS64 cert number 13663977. They blur out PCGS in the images because? They might get in trouble? There's also a $65 one but they chop off the cert # in images so I can't tell if it's the same as sumausa's. I imagine it costs them very little to do these with a wide variety of legit numbers & grades.

Edit: I reported ebay item but past experience tells me it's a waste of time without Bobby's connection.
Edited by kbbpll
02/10/2019 1:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11403 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
$89.60 on the scumbag site with a legit MS64 cert number 13663977. They blur out PCGS in the images because? They might get in trouble? There's also a $65 one but they chop off the cert # in images so I can't tell if it's the same as sumausa's. I imagine it costs them very little to do these with a wide variety of legit numbers & grades.

It's incredibly cheap for them to make and ship them which is why they sell them cheap. It's the middlemen that try and turn them into a big profit
Pillar of the Community
United States
2531 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes me wonder why buyers do not do their due diligence on items like this. If Ebay is slow to take care of this, someone is going to get burned bad. Plus, the seller changed ID in September, that alone is a red flag.
Edited by jimbucks
02/10/2019 2:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3373 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FAKE .... Reported it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They should really take pics of everything they put in a slab. It cant cost them that much. IMHO
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Makes me wonder why buyers do not do their due diligence
Yup. All you need to do is check seller's other items. Fake diamond earrings, a jewelry box, a WiFi extender, speaker covers... and a $4000 coin. Looks legit?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05