Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice Please: What To Do With "Brand New" Zincolns From Circulation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
311 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  12:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
About this time of year, I suspect some of you may have the experience I just had. Bought coffee at McDonald's, and my change included cents. There were none in the tray, so I observed the clerk pop open what was obviously a fresh bank roll, dump them in the tray, and then hand four of them to me. I managed to move the receipt under the coins, so the only human touch was when the clerk took it from the register and handed it to me. The coins look fine, but obviously there is human residue on them, and I don't want the one I put in my collection to have a black fingerprint fifty years from now, long after I'm gone. Would an acetone swish be advised? Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance. (I suspected this question has been asked before, but Search did not reveal it. Please pardon me if I missed something.)
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spend them. They will never have more then face value.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10422 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes , if they have a finger print on them let them go . BTW
what date were they ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4058 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the finger prints are old spend them as mentioned, if you are referring to fresh finger prints from McDonald's employee after while he handled it before giving it to you and you'd want to save it, just wipe it with a clean damp cotton glove and that would rid the blemish.
Pillar of the Community
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rinse them in acetone and put into a 2x2 if you want to keep them. Do not wipe the surfaces this is a bad idea.
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are 2019 then take a picture and post in 2019 circulating thread
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they came out of a brand new obw roll, an acetone soak would be the right option!
Lincoln cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Jefferson nickels - Done / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 10 holes /
Kennedy halves - 7 Holes / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 7 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes
Other works in progress - Barber-SLQ combined / Indian Head cents / 7070 / WLH-Franklin combined

Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I was negligent in not mentioning these were 2019. I know they have no value, but I keep a Dansco book going from 1909 to present, so I try to find a nice coin from circulation for each year.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rayder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just stack all the AU Zincolns I get in rolls. Once I have five rolls I vacuum pack them with a food saver. I'm not really worried about having $2.50 tied up in pennies I won't spend. Maybe 100 years from now the great grandkids that aren't born yet will enjoy having an antique that no longer exists.
Edited by rayder
02/11/2019 6:43 pm
Learn More...
United States
69389 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know they have no value, but I keep a Dansco book going from 1909 to present, so I try to find a nice coin from circulation for each year.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17752 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spend them. For the time and money invested in trying to clean them you may as well buy Mint sets from the Mint. Or buy new ones from a coin dealer or store.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05