Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

10 Centavos 1998.real Plan (Brazil) Disfigured Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brazil
28 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jmarcelo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Guys,

During mining, I have found these 1998 coins quite often. Always presenting the same type of problem. They look like these different marks on the printed elements.

As coins appear disfigured, with wrinkles. At the first moment I was thinking about a kind of lamination Flaw . But I am not sure about it. Maybe you can help me to identify this kind of error.

Sample1:

Sample2:

Sample3:

A few days ago I was talking to a friend. He explained to me that the effect may have occurred because of the speed of minting process, It could have caused the overheating of the dies and the temperature could reach the melting point of bronze, above 900 degrees. So the Machines had to be regulated, decreased in 700 strikes in one minute. it's an interesting theory, What Do you think about it?

BR,

Learn More...
Australia
13167 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look like the result of worn or damaged dies to me.

I suspect that the Brazilian mint is operating as cheaply as it can, particularly for low-value coins such as these, so it keeps the coin dies in service until they physically fall apart. How rare or common it is depends on the quality control of the mint in question. I have often seen the same or similar effect on the mints from other countries that produce large quantities of low-value coins - such as the Philippines.

The radial "flow lines" on coins struck by worn dies are essentially caused by erosion of the die - the same process that causes flowing water to carve out a canyon. Except the substance that is "flowing" is not water, but metal being squeezed outwards under pressure.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Brazil
28 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2019  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmarcelo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many Thanks to you reply SAP, Actually this effect, only appeared on the 10 centavos in 1998, It was the first year of the second family of Real Plan, There are many and many coins like that or similiar to those showed on the pics. I agree with the excessive use of dies and I believe I have already seen some erosion effects on coins, But I am not sure if this is What We seen on the 1998 coins.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2019  07:37 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it is mainly caused by excessive die wear/deterioration. Maybe the dies were not prepared properly and that accelerated the deterioration?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05