Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Nice 5 Coins, I Would To Buy But I Need Id.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Poland
29 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  4:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Antoni to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

i would like buy this set, I need id. Please help.

Edited by Antoni
03/12/2019 5:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2072 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
we are going to need some more information to help you out. what set are you looking to purchase?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4090 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Caveat emptor - the coin on the far right is Diadumenian (a rare emperor and valuable in this high of a grade) and it appears to be a modern forgery.

Top middle is a celtic imitation of a Philip tetradrachm. These are also commonly forged, but I couldn't make a determination on it either way, other than to say - I wouldn't risk it from these photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2950 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like the type of set up where an unidentified group is "salted" with a fake (or two) hoping to catch an eager novice collector hoping to make a score
A high grade Diadumenian would not normally be in an assorted lot like this
It would be offered alone and have a healthy price tag
Looks like a scam to me

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Antoni listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about
There are a few matches on the forgery network:

Edited by travelcoin
03/12/2019 9:08 pm
Poland
29 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Antoni to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and what aboout this small with Russian Eagel?
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  08:12 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Antoni;

It is interesting not all forgeries are cast and your Diadumenian is one of these modern struck items that someone adds the chemical patina to. Over the years as I go through lots I pull out fakes like this as all dealers do and never sell them but oddly enough if you look at this photo I posted years ago, I happen to have one of this exact same coin. Remember that whole bunch in the photo is fake, just part of the business to have a black box but in times like this it helps to have records. Look in the lower right of the photo.
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like how you keep your "black box collection" in a black box.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jskirwin;

Sadly the box has doubled in size just showing how many collector estates have these in them. But the good news is I am taking them out of circulation. On another note, below is a photo of his coin and my example from the black box and I think we can learn a bit from the comparison. No casting seem at all and the main difference is the maker varies how off struck he or she makes the image on the blank. The patina they fake is similar, and the other guy who started this string will find it comes off, with a lot of rubbing and you get a shiny coin. But even that is well applied. Notice his coin is sharper so by the time they made mine the die was probably starting to wear a bit.

Edited by louisvillekyshop
03/13/2019 8:38 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05