Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

100$ Canadian Gold Coin Set Value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  1:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vargasm03 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've recently inherited a collection of 100$ annual Royal Canadian Mint gold coins. I have about 25 coins from in between 1982 and 2016 with several years missing. The Coins I have are the ones from here:
https://www.monnaiecanada.com/en/rc...ation/100.00

I'm wondering what is the max monetary amount I can get for these coins, A couple of questions:

1. Do I sell this coins for its worth in gold, or as a collectible? I am not familiar with the coin market and what types of coins are generally desirable as a collectible

2. Do they have more Value as a set? In other words If I complete the set, does each coin increase in value?

3. Just starting to inquire to sell these coins, any specific places to avoid selling these coins or any advice in general in order to not get messed up? Thanks

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1541 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't sell them for the gold value. Selling to collectors directly will maximize your return but may take time.
Having a complete set will not help to sell the collection as most people will really only buy a couple or a few to complete their existing set
Valued Member
Canada
330 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ideally you always want to sell straight to collector. In this case I think you would be hard pressed to get even gold value for this sort of stuff and probably would have to settle for a few percentage points below. Mind you there might be a couple better ones that you can sell for a premium and you should give those a try first.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6904 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could try kijiji, I have sold coins on there with success.
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Learn More...
United States
69647 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
283 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure that you will get much over gold value. Most of these coins are readily available at bullion or bullion +10% from dealers. A couple of points to note though. Coins dated 1986 and earlier are 22k gold and have a half ounce of gold, after that they are 14k and only have a quarter ounce or less. Make sure you look at actual sales prices eBay or what dealers are charging... Some of these do sell at a premium but they are the exception rather than the rule.

As to selling as a collection, in general I agree with @redzapsid... most will only want one or two. Also if sold as a collection, the buyer will want a steeper discount to reflect the amount of money changing hands.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect them but seldom pay more than gold value plus 20%. The mintage has been getting smaller ,meaning less interest.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2280 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verify 1987 without edge lettering is worth substantially more than bullion.

Everything else in between is bullion material IMO, unless after 2006 where mintage is less than 5,000 and gradually reaching ~1,000. Perhaps there may be some numismatic value there.

No matter what you decide to do, selling gold on the internet is a risky business and if you decide to go that route you ** MUST ** insure your package! There is no such thing as seller protection. Even if you ship with signature confirmation and the package is signed for by the buyer, the buyer can still claim that the coin was missing.

Credit card fraud, PayPal charge backs, you name it. The seller loses, always.

Be careful.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2895 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can answer question #2. Simply NO and NO. The other members are best at answering your questions about where to sell Canadian gold and whether or not they have any value above gold melt.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2573 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2. Do they have more Value as a set? In other words If I complete the set, does each coin increase in value?

If you ever collected sports cards, you would know the value of a complete set is always much lower than individual cards.

It is the same thing with coin collecting where certain coins in a set is much more valuable than others.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05