Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Us Roll Hunting Didn't Go To Plan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
273 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  9:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was in the US over the weekend at my first US coin show in Hamburg, NY, among other activities. I was able to pick up a number of older dates I was looking for to fill my album. I also wanted to get a bunch of rolls from the bank to look for modern dates. Unfortunately, time constraints prevented me from going to a bank on the Friday and I had to go on Saturday.

There was really only one bank in the area that was open on the Saturday. Since I wasn't a customer with that bank, they were only willing to give me one roll of nickels, dimes and quarters when I had wanted 10 of each. I found a few dates/mintmarks I needed from the nickels and quarters. The dime roll was all 2018-P's that looked uncirculated.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giwalsh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a lot of banks won't even sell u any,small town banks seem to be better
Valued Member
410 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJLang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ran into that one day.
A bank wouldn't change out anything because I didn't have account.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10422 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost any service from a U.S. bank requires that you have an account with them .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
Canada
273 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've done this a handful of times before at other banks in other cities without any issue. That being said, I can't blame them for only wanting to deal with account holders rather than randoms like me.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the problem I encounter is when the request is over $50-$60 in change. pretty much any bank I've been to will give it to me if they aren't having a bad day or shorthanded and busy, but when you go to $100 in quarters, $50 in dimes, ect. they demand you have an account or get out.

Ive even been looked at crazy for $10 in cents "Sir, you realize that 20 whole rolls of pennies don't you?"

Yeah I know. almost a half a box....

keep it under $50-$60 per bank and not all pennies and it usually goes smoothly when you don't have an account with them.

I like "can I possibly get some change from you, Nothing crazy like $50 in coins please?"

usually its fine as long as you dont' take too many of any one denomination. 2 rolls quarters, 3 rolls dimes, 5 rolls nickles, 10 rolls pennies. If they let you do $60 tack on another roll of quarters.

If you go in there asking for 10 rolls of each you're at $170 and without an account, on short saturday hours and short handed staffing, you are pushing it with the teller who would likely have to go to the back for them and let the line back up further.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05