Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Mint & Proof Set Coins...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
633 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  10:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure if this has been asked before, I did a search but came up empty. Is it in anyone's opinion that coin value would increase if graded and sold seperately coins from either Mint or PL sets. Reasons would be appreciated.
Learn More...
Canada
8419 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  12:05 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on many factors... grade is especially important for early (pre-1968) PL set coins.... modern coins, not so much...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15246 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With proof coins that are Mint sealed, you get what you buy.
Grading becomes irrelevant.
Mostly an exercise in futility to break Mint sealed packaging, just to have individual coins slabbed.

Raw proof coins are a different matter.
They need to be graded, to ascertain their true value.

I prefer to grade for myself. I expect a prospective buyer of any coin that I wish to sell, to grade for themselves as well.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
633 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense. But I noticed on eBay that individual proof coins are sell for as much if not more than a hole set purchased once graded. The sets don't seem to sell for that much. In the grading and collection sense, I concur but I was referring more to when you want to unload some coins in order to purchase others or simply liquidate coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
633 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP-Ottawa

Understandable about pre-post coins. Collecting coins has exploded in the last few decades and with the quality control being implimented, especially from the Canadian Mint from what I've read, finding modern cheap high-grade coins is pretty easy. What I find disappointing (some may not) is the added grades MS66-67-68, etc, etc. I have a coin which was valued at $590 in it's present grade, when they added MS66,67, the value dropped to the next lowest tier which was the value of the grade below it, and it trickled down I would imagine through the other grades below that.
Edited by TaeKenDo
04/18/2019 12:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2379 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a big difference between what they ASK for on Ebay and what they SELL for .. .look at the sold prices by clicking on "advanced" and then for "sold price".
Pillar of the Community
Canada
633 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner - True that, they drop quite a bit.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05