Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1810 Classic Head Large Cent For Grading

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  9:27 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A $15 lucky win. Quite a lot of coin for that money as far as Classic Head large cents go.

Appears to be an S-283. Obviously, scratches/graffiti in front of the nose and a few light scratches across the bust; rev. looks better, a couple of digs and a rough patch in the lower left wreath. It's done its duty!

Thoughts on a grade? I cropped these from seller's (tilted) photos.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Still In Circ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to probably be an AG-3 to potentially a G-4. I do think that it would get a details though because of the large obverse scratches (which appear to be fairly deep). Though it does have a pleasant chocolate color:).
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Net AG
Pillar of the Community
United States
3690 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  08:35 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ag details
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35585 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AG details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7267 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AG details
Pillar of the Community
United States
8668 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AG Details
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In-hand photos after a Verdi-Care soak. It is a shade or two darker than the photos might suggest.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like quite an improvement. I'm gonna have to get some of that stuff
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35585 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice effort, but still AG details.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, of course it's not going to fix the scratches ;P

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35585 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It now appears obviously cleaned, so now is a double AG detail coin, if that's possible.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16818 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AG-3 details, due to the obverse scratching
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to get proper lighting. Everything I photograph looks orange or red because the light in my office is a single orange-looking LED bulb in the ceiling fan. The (white) globe won't fit over it, so the light is not filtered. I do have a blue LED stand light and blue directional LED's but that just makes everything look blue instead of orange/red. The coin is brown, not orange or red or pink, and it doesn't look cleaned. In fact, it's actually darker brown now than it was in the seller's photos.

If I had a proper copy stand and lighting that would be a nice start. Right now I'm shooting coins on a tray table with a towel over the top of it, and the light is coming in from above and to the back-left.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35585 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure of your point here. I think your pics of this coin are first-rate.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/02/2019 8:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My point is that every copper coin I photograph comes out looking more reddish-orange than brown due to bad lighting in my office (which doubles as my "coin office.")

The photos I took make this look almost RB. It's not; it's closer to the color of a Hershey's chocolate bar. I'm absolutely certain it was cleaned (along with the other damage) but the photos make it look 10x worse.

One of the reasons I don't enjoy posting here as much as I used to is that every photo I take makes every raw coin I have look terrible. Until I have the money to invest in a proper photography and lighting setup, it's very frustrating to try to get opinions on grades when the color is so far off and no amount of tweaking it in Photoshop can make it look "right."

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05