Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Advice Please Thank You X

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  12:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Goldensutherland to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hiya, I'm new and after a bit of advice on whether to keep these or sell them and put towards kid stuff...
I've the following, please don't laugh #128513;

Buncs
2016 W.S comedies
2016 W.S histories
2016 W.S tragedies
2016 ww1 army
2016 GFOL
2017 Britannia
2017 Jane Austen
2017 aviation

Circulated
Full set of Olympic 50s
Full set of Beatrice potter

Circulated
2015 Britannia
2015 Navy
2015 magna Carta

Sorry if not allowed, looking for kind advice, thanks x
Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I do a lot of part time dealing in the decimal 50ps and 2 coins, so I think I can advise to a degree.

You have some reasonably interesting coins there, but nothing worth mega-bucks. The 2017 2 coins will never be issued in circulation, so the Buncs you have there represent the only way a collector can acquire them. As such I think they will increase in value - but are unlikely to get to serious money in the next 20 years. The Shakepeare coins are attractive - the comedies in particular seems to be more difficult to find than the others. The Olympic 50ps, as a set, do very well if they are in good condition, ideally in one of the folders with a completer's medallion.
The Beatrix Potter coins - when you say "complete", be aware that there are 4 new ones in 2019, only one of which I think is out yet. The 2016 5 coins are all fairly common except Jemima Puddleduck, which can make about 10 now. The 2017s are all very common. Jury is still out on the 2018s as they still seem to be surfacing in circulation - Tailor of Gloucester and Flopsy Bunny fairly often, the other two scarcer.

The bottom line is how much do you need the money now? You can see the prices you can get for them on Ebay or Facebook - if that is enough to make it worth parting with them, then do it. But if you enjoy them and may want to add to them, or can leave the money there for now, then keep them.

Coin collecting becomes tedious if all you are concerned about is the investment value. True coin collectors love the coins for what they are - pieces of history and design.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
605 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.

Nobody here will laugh at your collection. We all started with just a few pieces. My own starting coin was a 1797 cartwheel 2d that was so badly worn it wasn't much more than a disc of metal. At the time I got it I didn't even know it was a coin! I had it for many years until curiosity got the better of me and I made the effort to find out what it was. I caught the bug, and now when I get a coin, I want to know things about it. Looks like you have the early stages of the bug too. Welcome to a great hobby that can be enjoyed at many different levels.

Ebay is a good place to look up selling prices. But before you buy anything there do some research. There are some good dealers but also a lot of sharks. I have found people on this forum helpful.

A good start for modern UK coins is "The Coin Yearbook 2019", costing 10 from any bookshop or large newsagent. It has values for nearly all UK coins, as well as other info. Be aware that the prices are only a guide, being a rough idea of what you would pay to a dealer to get that coin. Selling to a dealer would give you significantly less. Buying/selling private is a case of it is worth what somebody is prepared to pay!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5666 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from a fellow British collector!

I agree with what's already been posted. If you look for prices on eBay, please check the prices on sold listings, which will give you an idea of the actual price these coins sell for. Some chancers put even common coins like the Benjamin Bunny and Mrs Tiggy-Winkle 50p's on eBay for ridiculous sums, but of course they don't sell. I personally have sold duplicate circulated Olympic 50p's for 2 to 3 each.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05