Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Love Any Type Of Info On This Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  09:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add LadyG918 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have had this coin for quite a while but I dont k ow anything about it besides it seems to be very old. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:10 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost certainly a replica of a Bar Kochba Shekel (or half Shekel)
Here is a link to a genuine one for sale
https://www.vcoins.com/it/stores/se...Default.aspx

Here is an even better match
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/zu...Default.aspx
Edited by BigSilver
05/15/2019 10:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15937 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Big Silver. Appears to be a very decent forgery.
Learn More...
United States
73334 Posts
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LadyG918 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info!
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LadyG918 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im new and dont know how to tag anyone yet...haha. Big siver how can you tell fake from replicas? I am new to the Coin World but very interested in learning!! I have tons of foreign coins I have no clue about.
Edited by LadyG918
05/15/2019 8:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For starters, a rare and valuable coin in the hands of someone who does not know what it is, rings alarm bells.
Sure, it could happen with a genuine coin, but more often than not, such a scenario leads to a counterfeit/replica.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RogerRamjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LadyG918, the quality of the artwork is often a big clue. There's a clear difference in artwork quality between the links posted by BigSilver and yours. So it helps to start with good images of real coins. Manufacturing technique is often another clue. Real coins like this one would have been hammered. If I'm not mistaken, your coin has a visible seam around the edge, a clear sign that it was cast. Hope that helps.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LadyG918 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thank you! I know it will take time to learn all this stuff but I'm willing!
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LadyG918 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did take it to a jewlery shop and they said it is silver.
Thank you to everyone that has responded.
Edited by LadyG918
05/17/2019 4:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8881 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05