Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Give Peace A Chance - John Lennon - 50th Anniversary Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
620 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  12:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New very cool commemorative of Lennon Ono bed-in anti-war protest in Montreal 50 yrs ago - mintage 9999 1 oz silver -
Pillar of the Community
Canada
671 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little disappointed that it is just a screen printed image on the coin. It may sell well in their target demographic though (nostalgic boomers).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2612 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It may sell well in their target demographic though (nostalgic boomers

I am in that boomer demography and have zero interest in that ugly painted coin.

Too high of a mintage of 9999 mintage to sell out. Surprised it is so high when RCM sales are lagging.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a 60's kid that was coming of age during the 70's. Having only begun to take an interest in Politics, and Music, I had read extensively about John & Yoko. I thought that the Bed-in, in Montreal was an interesting way to protest. "if everyone stayed home - in bed - who would be left to make war"? Regrettably, some jerk put an end to the dreaming and imagining.
Edited by Dcadon
05/16/2019 11:16 am
Valued Member
Canada
306 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a huge John Lennon fan and a collector of NCLT however I am going to wait until I see this in hand. The laser etching done on the medal that was part of the 2005 Netherlands set would be great for this... If it is just a screen print (like the 2019 standard proof set SD) then I am less interested.

It is interesting though that finally, we have a pop culture commemorative that ties directly to Canada with the Montreal Bed-In, unlike the Warner brothers/DC Comics coins of years past where I struggled to see the Canada connection. This is a good step forward in concept and recognition of Canadian tied events, breaking out of maple leaves, polar bears, arctic foxes and the two world wars. I also like the fact that the anniversary is a standard recognition period... 25,50,75,100 yrs... in this case 50. I am not sure I understand the Victoria Jubilee Stamp from 1897... celebrating the 122 year anniversary... Even the St Lawrence Seaway 60th anniversary seems forced. I am also glad that it is not on an egg shaped or guitar shaped planchet. I also collect guitars but a guitar shaped coin makes as much sense as a coin shaped guitar.

Hopefully the execution matches the concept.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
620 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vonigohcr -

Very well said...enough bears foxes egg shaped - and yes, stick to standard typical milestones/anniversary dates
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2612 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not sure I understand the Victoria Jubilee Stamp from 1897...

It ties in with the Queen Victoria 200th Birthday. They could have chosen a QV design from 1869 to make it an even 150th anniversary. But the design they did chose is popular with stamp collectors. That design was released as a reproduction stamp by Canada Post a few years ago, which I have.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05