Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Searching For A Barber Half Type

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been looking in the AU58 to MS63 grades for a solid example with eye appeal to add to my type set. I have found several AU58 CAC with prices approaching MS62 prices. I am wondering if I am better off looking for an MS63 that has eye appeal? I am also wondering if sellers of AU58 coins are trying to exploit the "everyman registry" type set crowd.
Actively collecting US Type coins and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4066 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO forget MS-60, -61 and -62.
Generally an AU-58 will look better than any of those.
In fact it's not unusual for an AU-58 to look better than an MS-63.
That's why they are often priced just below MS-63.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
282 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you haven't tried the auctions I suggest you take a look. I am now buying most of my coins at Heritage Auctions. The listings have almost all the pricing information one could ask for right there on the listing page, so there is plenty of useful information to help you frame a winning bid. Numerous type coins are available at every auction, and you can almost always buy for under retail, and often below wholesale. Many of the rarest and most expensive coins are also sold by HA, and harder to find coins come up more often than you would think.
HA seems skewed to rhe higher grades. Most of their mint state coins start at MS64 and coins that are scarce in mint state are usually high AU. Other auction houses might be more likely to offer MS63 coins. That said, I have frequently been able to purchase a higher grade coin for just a little bit more than the retail price of the next grade down. For example, earlier this year I got an MS64 1857 Flying Eagle cent for $80 over the retail price of an MS63.
As you know, nice Barber halves are among the most expensive coins for their grades because they are so rare. I too need a Barber Half for my type set, and it could be the most expensive coin I buy. MS65s seem to be running around $1500 at auction against a retail price of $1850 per PCGS Price Guide. Many EBay sellers are listing them for over $2000.
If you are looking for a CAC approved Barber half, you are going to pay a premium above retail for it, even at auction.
I have found a lot of nice fairly priced coins on EBay from sellers I would not hesitate to do business with again. Many seem to be full time dealers, and very professional. I have also been astounded by some grossly overpriced listings that in no way merit a premium. As a type collector not worried about a specific date, you'll be successful just shopping around.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12143 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Todays 58s are very nice coins especially the CAC ones. They are generally superior to anything MS 60-62 and sometimes superior to MS 63. They're basically 63s and up that have a little to much friction for the MS grade.

Generally the only reason the 62 is graded higher than the 58 is because of the massive flaw in the grading scale about friction that will take a lot of years to fully correct
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
282 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with everything kanga says. Although acceptable MS62s can be found with patience, most coins under MS63 seem either unattractive or downright ugly to me. I would not necessarily say that about pre-Morgan coinage where lower mint states seem to have better eye appeal.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38014 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Choice AU-58 coins can often rival 64 and even 65 examples in terms of eye appeal. Generally speaking, if I couldn't afford more than a 63, I would switch to searching for a choice 58. This applies not just to coins but even more so to paper money.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11021 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all who say in most cases an AU-58 has good potential to be better looking then MS-60-63 and with better eye appeal . This seems to be the norm for all types of coins .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18151 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen many in all grades at coin shows.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is the one I picked to add to my type set. AU58 graded.
Actively collecting US Type coins and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
549 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spectacular!
Learn More...
United States
73482 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the one I picked to add to my type set. AU58 graded.
Wow!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05