Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hunting For 1964 Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  12:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Danieliop1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I want to add a bunch of 1960s and 1950s of all coins to my collection, any good place to start hunting at?
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
search rolls for silver, hit up your local coin shop (typically shops will have large stashes of low grade 50's and 60's coins that can be scored for melt value. Not sure the condition of coins youre looking for, but junk silver can be found for very reasonable prices that wont break the bank. Ebay could also yield some good opportunities.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38013 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, your LCS is the best place to start.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still find some 50's and 60's stuff in the wild but it's pretty hit or miss.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18151 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Have you tried just rolls from a bank.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cent and nickel rolls from banks would be where I would start.

You won't find many of the other coins in rolls.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3703 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the last ten years I've found well over 1,000 silvers from rolls. Couple years back, I dumped at least one thousand Jefferson nickels dated between 1946-1958. The oldest silver found was an 1894 Barber half dollar, in a roll.

Roll hunting is your best bet for finding old coins at face value. You can get rolls of coin from your Credit Union, or even the local Walmart (I found my first silver 1970 D Kennedy there, at a tiny bank, the only half they had).
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. I started around
Quote:
In the last ten years I've found well over 1,000 silvers from rolls.

Interesting. I see you've been roll hunting since 1977. I started around 1983 and stopped around 2000. I just was not finding much of anything when I stopped.

I live in a rural area. At one time I had a bank in a small farm town about 50 miles away that would give up lots of goodies, but I think I got them all. My theory is that the change from that bank just circulates around and around in the same community.

So you are averaging over 100 silver a year. How many rolls are you searching in a year?

Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin shows seem to work for me when buying in quantity. Better than average pricing and you get to see what your buying before hand. Dealers tend to do this to reduce their inventories. And that's a win for both of us.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3703 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Joe coin - much more than 100 silvers per year. Over one thousand in a six year span. Searched about $150k.

It's all bout volume. Time, not so much. I could search and re-wrap a roll in under 10 seconds. Volume and seed money is the key.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
05/19/2019 6:30 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Colbyj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found a 64 nickel double d mint mark in a bank roll
Learn More...
United States
73473 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just found a 64 nickel double d mint mark in a bank roll
Nice find!

to the Community!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05