Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Information About Grundy Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Spain
81 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  12:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello.

I've just won a coin ex-Grundy Collection. I've been doing some research, but I only know that it was auctioned by Heritage on January 2009, and that it was "one of the top collections of silver world crowns ever assembled, with 600 crowns renowned for both diversity and quality collected over 35 years"

Does anyone knows where to find some more information?

Thank you all :)
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been there done that. Meaning I also picked up a piece from that collection some time back. I wasn't able to find out much more than you have posted in your question.
Valued Member
Spain
81 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess this line I wrote is from a press release of Heritage. Seen that in many places, but no more information, except for the very high quality of coins auctioned that day. Regrettably, mine is not one of the greatest :=)

Regards and THANK YOU austrokiwi!
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OOOO! Nice. I've seen many Grundy pieces of the years and most of them without a doubt are some of the finest I've seen.

Do share the piece you've won in our beloved crown thread.
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Valued Member
Spain
81 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know I will share it ;). But don't expect it will be the best crown you've ever seen, you will be dissapointed if you do xD

Regards and thank you cableguy
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I very much doubt it my friend.

I have been busy (and lazy), and have quite a few new pieces to share. I'll try to make time and post them as well.
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just sent my 1758 ecu from the Grundy Collection to Heritage. You may see it in the September Long Beach Auction.
Edited by jgenn
05/25/2019 11:09 pm
Valued Member
Spain
81 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, impressive crown jgenn. I'm waiting for mine, it cames from Italy. I will post on our crown thread as soon as I get it
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Ecu! Why the sell? No longer to your liking or you got your eyes on something more interesting?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice Ecu! Why the sell? No longer to your liking or you got your eyes on something more interesting?

I had two écu d'argent of Louis XV and am keeping the one that fits in my themed set, even though it is of lesser grade.

The écu was one of 30 world crowns that I decided it was time to let go of. Mostly duplicates types and raw coins that graded poorly.
Edited by jgenn
05/30/2019 01:44 am
Valued Member
Spain
81 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As promised here goes debt... I've just received my 1676 Milano Filippo, ex Grundy Collection and ex Raccolta ANPB, Italian Coins from 1000 till 1797 auctioned by Varesi in 2016. It is outside the NGC slab, but it's same coin, they match even blue iridiscence zones. I would break the slab by myself, I don't like having my coins locked... (I know I'm going to win many enemies with this statement xD)

https://coins.ha.com/itm/italy/worl...ption-071515

Waiting for take some better photos and upload it to the crowns thread with another one I've just get

Regards!
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Despite the crude nature of the type, this is a very nice example txabs - congrats! I would agree this is indeed the Grundy specimen that failed to sell in the Oct 2016 Varesi auction.

I am in agreement with you in that I too strongly dislike slabs. But, in this case, I wouldn't crack the coin out as I wouldn't want to lose the Grundy provenance.

If it is not a secret, what did you pay for this specimen? I ask because it always interests me to see how much value good provenance adds to a coin.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had two écu d'argent of Louis XV and am keeping the one that fits in my themed set, even though it is of lesser grade.

That's a cool set Jack - thanks for sharing.

I've never really collected based on themes. I Just kind of get whatever crown suits my fancy, assuming an appropriate price. A five century birth year set is a fun project. You're giving me ideas I don't want to have....
Valued Member
Spain
81 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a secret, it was on public auction :)

It cost me 355€ (400$), including buyers fee and shipping (shipping was free) from Italy to Spain.

https://negrini.bidinside.com/en/lo...lippo-1676-/

Provenance was not described on the acution, so you have a real example of how much value it adds. It was sold on Heritage and it cost $650 + buyers fee + shipping + import taxes... about $850-$900. The real market price for that filippo is what I payed, not Heritage's hammer. Also I think it was sooo overgraded by NGC (as many other european coins), that piece is not AU55. Varesi was not able to sell it on 500€ because that price was simply too expensive.

Regards!
Edited by txabs
05/30/2019 2:48 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05