Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1898 Straits Settlements 50 Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
516 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  7:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add marbury518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up recently as most I have seen are in worn condition. I have only seen a photo but hoping it will prove my hunch right that it's a nice grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4036 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO it has probably been cleaned (dipped).
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
Australia
496 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmm then why leave the stains behind? I think it okay grade maybe a VF but looks like hairlines. Be more aware of fakes, not say your is a fake tho.
Edited by ryurazu
05/21/2019 11:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15444 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has re stained since cleaning.
This coin has spent at least most of it's life in a hot, humid climate.

Nevertheless, condition well above average for the type, and because of this, reasonably scarce.
Edited by sel_69l
05/22/2019 06:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
516 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add marbury518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.....when I saw all others, they are very badly worn....and I think it is way better than VF looking at the hair and the crown. The photo isn't great....thanks for looking.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice example of this fairy rare coin. These are condition sensitive and are often found with flat hair and crown details on the obverse. Yours show a good bit of detail.

As others pointed out, at least based on your images, it appears the coin was dipped and cleaned. Hairlines can be seen in the fields. If I had to guess this would probably grade AU details, or at the very worse, XF details, definitely not VF.
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
516 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add marbury518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cableguy (get-r-done)...I am not risking a slab.....and thus the level of detail is good enough to get me a decent return from my regular buyers....if it was slabbed as a 55 or better I would have kept it but the price would have been sky high.......
Edited by marbury518
05/23/2019 02:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1876 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will be iteresting to see a close-up of the crude to see how deep it has penetrated...maybe it's just on the surface.

KK
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05