Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 June RCM Releases

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
626 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rose of the wind coin has to be a good "test the market" type of coin.
Good design but pricey but quite low mintage.
What do NCLT collectors prefer ?
Low mintage with higher price or opposite...and it's unlikely to go low low?
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
General question... I don't recall a 1/4 oz silver issue with the same reverse as the 1/4 oz 14K $100 gold before. The June release of the Juno Beach footprint is the same as this year's $100 Gold.

There have been issues in the past where the gold and silver had the same reverse design (e.g. 2013-2015 Moon mask series) but they have always been different sizes. Also, this appears to be the first time a regular series has been reissued in a different metal (excluding the painting and Selective gold plate of the annual SD issues)

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6567 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Majority of people, I believe, wouldn't be interested in these facts

You know, this is similar to:
"First RCM's 2oz coin"
"First RCM NCLT with colouring"
"First RCM Reverce-proof SML without Privy Mark"
...etc

people don't remember and don't care, due to large amount annual issues.

Quote:
Also, this appears to be the first time a regular series has been reissued in a different metal

2004 Arctic Fox Fractional Silver set
2005 Canadian Lynx Fractional Silver set

Both have different reverse on each coin, and both repeat the design of Platinum set from the 90's
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silveroid

I just looked up the Fractional Silver sets you mentioned and yes they are the same as the 1993 Arctic Fox and 1995 Lynx Proof Platinum series.

My question was more oriented to duplicating a regular issue coin. In 1981, the RCM issued the same NCLT Silver Dollar in two finishes (Proof & BU). This practice was expanded upon in 2004 with the BU Privy mark then in 2005 with the enamel and selective gold plate versions of the same coin. I don't think this is a good thing as it tends to diminish the series... (multiple variants with only a colour change)

To my knowledge, this is only the second time that the same coin (Size and Precious Metal content) has been issued in the same year for a regular annual issue. The 27mm 14K Gold $100 has been a staple annual issue since 1987 but now for it to be released in a 27mm Silver release is a new thing.

In the past when gold and silver releases shared a reverse, they were of different sizes... and of course, there are the series of "re-issue" coins in different sizes or with different dates. I am discounting the two one off Gold Dollars minted for charity (2003 & 2004)...

My question is whether you think the RCM issuing the $100 Gold & $3 Silver as design pair is a good thing and does it add to the $100 annual issue... I am of two minds but am tending to dislike as I think it diminishes the $100 Gold series and I really don't like the piecemeal release of new items over the year that are essentially series partners. Note this differs from a timed release of x coins where the series is announced at the outset.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2663 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
people don't remember and don't care, due to large amount annual issues.

Except for the diehard coin collector do people really care if a same design is used again? Its a big yawn for most people.

If anything, doing the same coins over and over is killing the RCM.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
626 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Killing the RCM huh?
Lots of sell outs monthly...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1571 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The annual report indicates that NCLTs may not be "killing" the RCM but they are on life support.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2663 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lots of sell outs monthly...

Aside from a few ultra low mintage gold coins, only 1 or 2 coins sell out each month. Hardly the "lots of sell outs monthly".

Take May for example, only 2 coins sold out: the diamond coin and the Queen Victoria 200th anniversary. The QV only sold out because it appears to be commissioned and the RCM had only a small allotment.

Besides, most coin that do sell out at the RCM can be found at other dealers. The market is for NCLT is very weak if not dead.
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Take May for example, only 2 coins sold out: the diamond coin and the Queen Victoria 200th anniversary.

Confirming what @Moneypenney said: Both of these coins are available for list price at CdnCoin and the QV also at Colonial acres.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2320 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The market is for NCLT is very weak if not dead.

I can't argue with that statement.

And I predict that just about the same thing will be said on next month's release, unless we see pricing aligned with base metal value. The RCM needs a radical change in the way it sells NCLTs.

I have a feeling that something is coming.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Canada
16 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jam3z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1/2 Kilo 75th Anniversary of Normandy Campaign - $1249.95

Was excited for this coin but unfortunately seems to have a "messy" design with too much going on. Similar to the 5 coin fractional maple masters set. Hard to focus on the design with these.
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
seems to have a "messy" design with too much going on.

I agree about "messy". It is a shame as the larger canvas allows for a broad array of design options. I really like the $200 for $200 series... busy but not messy. This is a missed opportunity from the RCM.
Canada
16 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jam3z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree about "messy". It is a shame as the larger canvas allows for a broad array of design options. I really like the $200 for $200 series... busy but not messy. This is a missed opportunity from the RCM.

Yes very true with the $200 for $200, easy to see at a glance per-say. The sad truth is that I've seen better work on WW2 video game cover's. Not that they are any less, but given the topic and the manufacturer this really is a shame.. Maybe the mint should be looking at other such other industries for recruiting purposes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2320 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1/2 Kilo 75th Anniversary of Normandy Campaign - $1249.95

Quite a steep premium for less than $320 in silver.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
575 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2019  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was excited for this coin but unfortunately seems to have a "messy" design with too much going on.

Also very steep premium. I can see the price dropping quickly on these...
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05