Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1862 Half Penny C Die ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  09:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tommyv56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an 1862 Half Penny and it appears to have the C Die mark, but not convinced. Can anyone confirm or reject that it is in fact a C? Any help would be appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5710 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and

I'm not convinced. There is a good photo of a 'C' variety here:
http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=...searchtype=1

I'm sure other UK collectors will chime in with their views!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
232 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think it very unlikely that this is the "C" die letter variety. Not only is there very little evidence in the right area to the left and below the lighthouse, but also I am pretty sure this is reverse G, whereas all the "C" die letter examples so far found are reverse F.
To be an F reverse the hair at Britannia's nape would extend much further - almost to the shoulder drape, and the underside of the outstretched arm would be slightly curved.
Learn More...
United States
78564 Posts
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tommyv56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks and I wasn't very sure either. But thought I'd put it to the guys in the know.

What would the value of this coin be, just curious?
Edited by tommyv56
06/04/2019 03:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5710 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  04:01 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What would the value of this coin be, just curious?

My local coin dealer has similar condition Victorian Bun Head halfpennies in his album pages for about 1 each.
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tommyv56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As little as a 1? I thought it would have been a little more, but hey, I'm not selling it anyway, was just curious.
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tommyv56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information, much appreciated. and Hi to all that commented.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05