Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1737 Philip V Pillar Dollar Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spain
2 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  03:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ingeniery to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, I bought some time ago a pillar dollar dated 1737, the seller told me that it was probably recovered from the rooswijk wreck and it looks similar to other coins found there.
The coins is 24.2g and 38mm diameter. The loss of weight is probably because of marine corrosion. The edge also looks good with high detail.
I appreciate your comments about the coin.
Regards!!

Edited by Ingeniery
06/04/2019 03:58 am
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
Valued Member
235 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nelson9225 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert but it should weigh 27 grams and be 40 mm
and it does'nt look like it was in the ocean very long
not saying it's a fake but there are a lot of fakes out there
it's just my humble opinion
Valued Member
Spain
103 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Diameter is correct, not all of them are 40mm. Weight seems compatible with saltwater corrosion. Edge looks good. But I don't like its general appearance. It seems like it has been cleaned on a very aggresive way... or it is simply a fake. Your images on Imperio Numismatico forum are much better ;)

Where did you get it? Is seller trustable? If I cannot authenticate a coin by myself, I prefer to pay a bit more to a professional and let him authenticate it for me. Specially with pillar dollars, there is more fakes than authentic ones.

Regards
Spain
2 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ingeniery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hola!
The seller is trustable so I agree with you that it may have been cleaned aggressively but all other points like diameter, weight, edge,and the comparison between this coin and others recovered from shipwrecks (specially Rooswijk) make me think that it's authentic, but as you said, there are lots of counterfeit pillar dollars.
Regards!

Regards
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05