Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wtc Ground Zero Recovery Maples

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...BNS vault was in the Twin Towers. They removed $317,000,000 worth of gold and precious metals from the vault using a convoy of armoured cars: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.the...cle20934461/

Now I'm confused. The article you linked says the vault was in Building 4, which was not one of the two towers that were the targets.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joe, you are right. I re-read the article and the vaults appear to have been in building 4. Interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1437 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Royal Mint made some 50 pence Britannia coins with recovered silver from the SS Gairsoppa which was sunk during WWII. Coins were issued in 2013 and 2014 as far as I know.

https://agaunews.com/gairsoppa-brit...deluxe-pack/

Ken
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Pillar of the Community
Canada
616 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Off topic, but does anyone remember the Helmet shaped coin that was released last year or so.

I remember watching The Coin Show with Steven Bromberg. And the host and Steven were drooling over the Helmet coin and proclaiming how "cool" and "amazing" the bullet hole on the coin was and just general lollygagging over the coin.

I just couldn't help but feel "My god, these 2 are so far removed from life of war and terror." I get they're trying to sell a product, but when I see a coin with a bullet mark on it, I think it's sad and sombre and a reflection of how terrible war is. I feel commemorative coins with a focus on remembrance are fine, but a coin sprayed with bullets is a cheap gimmick to sell a coin, and using the terror soldiers went through to sell a coin.

I'd like to see those two hosts go to a war veteran or their children and talk about how cool that coin is. I changed the channel...:/

I feel the same way about these SMLs
Edited by wilsonwu89
06/08/2019 2:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
630 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2019  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I fully agree - commemorating war vets in any format (including coins) should be done with utmost dignity and respect - always!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3429 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2019  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These items drip of bad karma. Not for me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2019  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to play devil's advocate, but I would suggest that the majority of the gold and silver sourced prior to 1800, and perhaps even up to today, was done unethically. Inca, Aztec, Mayan, Byzantine, Roman, Vatican, Viking, European 'heresies' and barbarians, East India, Manchuria, Congo, Rhodesia, Napoleon's Crusade, the overthrow of the Russian monarchy, WW1 and WW2, Iraq, Syria, Libya ... I mean, quite literally, 100s of millions of people have met early deaths in the pursuit of 'wealth and riches' (historically gold and silver).

Great input and conversation y'all. Very interesting.
Edited by JGG
06/09/2019 10:09 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05