Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Of These Coins Commonly Sold For Over Spot Gold Value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2019  10:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vargasm03 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

I just inherited a gold coin collection. It is the 100$ annual Canadian Royal Mint coin as see here and I have all the coins from years 1976 - 2016

https://www.monnaiecanada.com/en/rc...ation/100.00

My question is are any of these coins worth substantially more than it's gold value? I know all the coins made before 1986 are 22k and after are 14k , that would give them a gold spot price of about 888$ and 444$ dollars respectively with today's gold price of 1777$ cad/Troy ounce.

I've started doing a lot of research on these coins , but maybe anyone here can educate me if any of these coins are known to have a higher price sold as a collectible rather than for it's gold value?

I've called some gold shops and got 5% below spot price without haggling. From what I read online ,it's possible to get spot price for these gold coins. Anyone here been able to see gold coins for spot price? Thanks
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jp8484 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, they all just go for bullion or whatever % of bullion you get offered.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9981 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  02:14 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they only go for bullion (I have no idea), then 5% below spot with no headache from a reputable dealer sounds good to me.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
Canada
322 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An alternative is to look at a bullion dealer. Since these are RCM issued and known coins, you may get closer to bullion value depending on the bullion dealer's spread. The only negative from the bullion dealer's perspective is that unlike the maple leaf series these are not 9999 coins.

One other thing to note, You are correct that from 1977-1986, the coins were 22K and contained 0.5TrOz of gold and from 1987 on they contain 14K gold but from 1987 - 2003 they contained 0.25TrOz of gold (the balance being silver). In 2004, the mint downgraded the gold content to 0.225TrOz of gold; still 14K but less metal content.

The only coins that have a purchase premium over bullion are the 2014 and 2015 Superman coins... not strictly in the annual series but often included as part of the $100 gold set. A dealer may give you bullion +10% on those especially since he will get a GST input credit from purchasing them as they are not 999 or better and as such are taxable.

Good Luck
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sold some a couple years ago to J&M coins in Vancouver for I think if I remember correctly just over bullion prices I think they are one of the higher buyers of gold coins
Valued Member
Canada
134 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  02:59 am  Show Profile   Check Wandering Eskimo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Eskimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vargasm03 - If you are looking to sell any of the coins from your inheritance, please drop me a line! I have a few holes in my $100 gold coin collection, and I would be happy to work with you in establishing a fair price.

PM me here in the forums, and we can chat thereafter.

Thanks in advance!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9981 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  03:09 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note: members cannot PM until they have reached 50 posts.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05