Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Coins Recently Found Were Cleaned. How Much Potencial % Value Was Lost

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Portugal
3 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  06:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coin2324 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello.
A brief introduction on the situation.
I'm new to Numismatic and coins and recently "burried" in some closet in my home, together with a bunch of other worthless coins were found some gold coins, probably passed from 1-2 generations to my father that didnt even know he had them, maybe had them for so long he didnt even remembre anymore or just careless, who knows, anyway.

The basic idea after seperating the oldest coins from the apperant "worthless " coins was to clean them at the time, since no one at the house had any knowledge on coins and such. clean must value more and show more value right? ye after some days Reading we already understand we made a huge mistake, fortunaly this are made from gold so the basic material holds its value at the very least. I think, its still a shame what happened. (If wondering how was the cleaning done, just neutral soap and water, I know, it is still pretty bad , but could be worse).

So here is are questions if someone is willing to help me.

based on this 2 samples of this 2 diferent coins , how much value was lost from a numismatic point of view?
Is their value only the gold they contain? I'máNOT LOOKING FOR A FINAL PRICE (for obvious reasons is hard for someone to give one behind a computer screen) , just trying to understand its numismatic value if still has any and trying to not get rip'd off when selling them, of course if someone could give me na indication comparing to the main pages of the search google provides, how much variant % wise of the value I'máexpect to lose when comparing its value to gold weight value.

ps- in the first image , yes that is a hair of my cat, I can take another photo later if needed

First coin:
google search with inscription:
https://www.google.com/search?q=196...ome&ie=UTF-8

Second coin google search with inscription:

https://www.google.com/search?q=191...ome&ie=UTF-8

Thank you for all the attention and time dispended.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2370 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You will shortly get some opinions from other experts, but I will start.
Cleaning a coin detracts from its value when there are obvious artifacts introduced by the cleaning, such as abrasion marks, or an unnatural color, or uneven color because only part of the patina has been removed.
SO the good news is that a modern gold coin will not have much (or any patina), so if all you did was wash the coin in soap & water, and give it a thorough rinse, it is unlikely you have done much (or any) damage to its value.

Modern gold coins like yours often sell for only a small premium above their bullion value. I don't know the market for these types/dates, but I think you may not have done much to change the value of your coins. For many common coins, you can do a search on eBay to find the current value, though for gold the price will move a bit as the bullion price changes..

Edited by tdziemia
06/10/2019 06:59 am
Portugal
3 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin2324 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcoming and your time :)

Well, at the time was soap with water, I let it sit for a bit and then a thorough clean with a microfiber clough. This is almost painful to write down as I know how wrong it was to do it, but oh well, what its done its done.

Yes I do see some different shines a bit here and there, might be that patina you'r talking about.

I do see some deformations on the coins, small ones (but I learned that everything matters in a coin) , plus the cleaning, I think if it has some "premium" price above the bullion as you said, I might have 'shed it' in more than 50% of what I could get I think, But I'mávery clueless.

Anyway, thank you for your fast responde and input!
Edited by coin2324
06/10/2019 07:14 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18443 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There are many reasons not to clean a coin. However, this does mean not all reasons are horrible. For example on some coins cleaning removes some of the original material or the coin. Some cleanings leave scratches on the coin due to the cleaning material. Some cleanings have the cleaning material react with the metal of the coin making it worse than before the cleaning. So much depends on the cleaning material and the method of cleaning.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10202 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Valued Member
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your family made an honest mistake, the fact you can admit it on a public forum really says something about yourself. Stick with us and overtime it will become something you can look back on and laugh about.

Here's the good news, in terms of a percentage you lost maybe 2-5%, luckily these are common dates and are traded/sold based on the gold value. If it were a 1913C (Canadian) gold sovereign for example than it would have been a devastating loss.

Keep your head up!
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Portugal
3 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin2324 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone.
Thank you all for the warm welcoming , much appreciated :)
(how do I quote someone here ? to respond directly to what was said? I cant find it)

SelectCoinCanada,
I hope so, I actually have been enjoy seeing some coins and all with this, may have found something I might enjoy in the future, I once had some interest but didnt persue it, lets see where this takes me this time.

How would you guys classify those coins in terms of grade ? So there is still a bit value from numismatic point of view? at one point I almost lost a bit hope and started to think I could only get the gold value.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15753 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(how do I quote someone here ? to respond directly to what was said? I cant find it)

Highlight and copy the text you want to quote. Then at the bottom select "Switch to full reply"

In the window that opens you will see
Screen size
Format Mode
Format
Media
Currency symbol etc.

To the right of Format there are 14 buttons, the next to the last is Insert Quote. Click that and the paste your copied text in between the quote tags that appear in the reply box.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
06/11/2019 12:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How to Quote

If you are using the Quick Reply box...

1. Type [quote]

2. Paste the text you want to quote

3. Then type [/quote]

If you are using the Reply to Topic link...
1. Paste the text you want to quote

2. Highlight it

3. Then press the 'Insert Quote' button:

So this...

[quote]Quoted Text[/quote]

Looks like this...

Quote:
Quoted Text
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins you posted are just bullion coins, so there is minimal added numismatic value over the gold content regardless if they are cleaned or not.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05