Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1927 Special Strike Buffalo Nickel PCGS SP65

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  12:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - This 1927 Special Strike Buffalo nickel is one of three in the PCGS population, one is graded PCGS SP65, and the other two, including this piece graded PCGS SP66.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42309 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, was unaware of these.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9054 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same here. Is there documentation from the mint reports to support the SP designation?
Member SSDC, TNA
Learn More...
United States
78623 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!

Quote:
Interesting, was unaware of these.

Quote:
Is there documentation from the mint reports to support the SP designation?
Would be nice to learn more.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11876 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After 92 years we just now hear about this ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4648 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure these all originated from one place...read about them long ago..they were struck to test a new way of producing the dies I believe..
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious if these were a precursor to the 1936 proof coins? I would think that the mint experimented a few years ahead of proof coins returning for the collector market. Like the others, this is the first I'm learning of them. Thanks for sharing!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15956 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2019  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were first announced maybe 10 years ago. PCGS felt they were something special and graded them SP. As far as I know there is no documentation that the mint intended to do anything special. They just exist and PCGS has spoken.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
78623 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4648 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were certified by NGC first as SP and came from some important estate way back in the day..there are 3 of them. They were struck to test a new chromium die plating process. Good write up on them can be found on HA.com
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Edited by thedollarman
11/07/2019 12:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15956 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that is true they would fall more under the heading of patterns, and which under the law of 1896, a law which has been very selectively enforced over the years, should be illegal to own.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2284 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very nice Buffalo nickel.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1012 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any idea where the three are now?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05