Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Hawaii Related Tokens, Medals, And Exonumia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  07:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Kick off for this thread...

One of the most underappreciated series in Hawaiian numismatics is the Princess Victoria Ka'iulani commemorative crowns manufactured by the Royal Hawaiian Mint. This under appreciation stems from the lack of these crowns being organized into a collectible series and even worst, they remain undocumented. Not to worry, in my spare time I have been collecting, organizing, and cataloging the Princess Victoria Ka'iulani commemorative series.

The Royal Hawaiian Mint utilized the original obverse portrait of Princess Victoria Ka'iulani from the grand prize of Hawaiian numismatics, the Reginald Huth gold pattern issue of the proof 1895 Princess Victoria Ka'iulani 20 dala (dollar) coin of which only two specimens are known. One specimen is owned by the Smithsonian Institution and the other is owned by a private party. The asking price for this specimen was in excess of $450,000.

The original gold pattern issues were struck by Pinches & Company of London, England under the direct supervision of Reginald Huth. Reginald Huth was a wealthy Englishman and avid numismatist. He was so taken by the beauty of Princess Victoria Ka'iulani that he commissioned the minting of private issues in the honor of the Hawaiian Princess.

The dies were engraved by John H. Pinches. The proof 1895 Princess Victoria Ka'iulani 20 dala was struck in gold and has the same weight and fineness as a United States $20 double eagle gold coin.

The Princess Victoria Ka'iulani portrait on the Reginald Huth pattern is one of the most beautiful designs in Hawaiian numismatics. As such, the Royal Hawaiian Mint created its Princess Victoria Ka'iulani commemorative gold crowns.

In my opinion, the Royal Hawaiian Mint's Princess Victoria Ka'iulani Heir Apparent design struck in one ounce gold is to be highly prized due to their beauty and rarity. There are only four Princess Victoria Ka'iulani versions of the once ounce gold Princess Victoria Ka'iulani crowns. Below is the first known collection of these beautiful crowns. Each are NGC top pops. Three of the four crowns are individually listed in Krause Unusual World Coins and other Krause publications.

Krause X# MB60. Mintage 55.

Krause X# MB60 (unlisted with First Day Issue (FDI) counterstamped).Mintage 55 (unknown number with FDI countertamped)

Krause X# MB61. Mintage 400.

Krause unlisted. Mintage 20.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2505 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  10:00 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect timing for this thread.
About 2 weeks ago, a friend contacted me with a Hawaiian medal that he couldn't identify. He got it in a lot of foreign coins. He knew I would like it.
It turned out to be a rare medal issued for King Kalakau's 50th birthday in 1886. It is identified as 2RM-13 https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...thday/592234 A PCGS graded AU details sold on Heritage for $2,880.
We decided to send his in to PCGS for grading as well. Eventually plan to send to Heritage as well.

As with the PCGS graded one, it seems to have been removed from some sort of mount. I don't know if they came on a ribbon or what.
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kona dollar from 1972

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3446 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  03:16 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a counterstamped LMC.

Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recently NGC encased (aka slabbed) Hawaii Statehood Heraldic Art Medal So-Called Half Dollar dies in my collection.

Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completed this original numismatic research a few years back. This saloon token, used when Hawaii was still a Kingdom, is in my Hawaiiana Collection.

Below are some of my original research findings. (Original research findings = from the original source, and not from a previously published numismatic literary work.)

In 1878, James Dodd started a hotel and stable business in the Kingdom of Hawaii.

In 1878, James Dodd advertised drinks (ales, wines, and liquors) at his hotel.

In 1881, James Dodd renewed his retail spirit license in 1881 under the Pantheon Saloon business name.

In 1883, James Dodd's new Pantheon saloon was under construction.

On June 9, 1883, James Dodd opened his newly built Pantheon Saloon.

James Dodd's obituary.

Image of the James Dodd's property.

Another image of the James Dodd's property.

Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I completed this original numismatic research a few years back. This saloon token, used when Hawaii was still a Kingdom, is in my Hawaiiana Collection.
Well done!
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterstamped mintage of 10.

Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, DrDarryl for educating on the original NORFED. Here's my contribution even though it's not actually Hawaii related.

The MA counterstamp was done by BVNH it stands for Monetary Architect, how many were stamped is unknown to me.
Edited by Chopped Triumphs
07/16/2019 2:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fraternal Medals are cataloged in the book Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog, 2nd Edition, by Medcalf & Russell. NGC grades and encapsulates coins, medals, and tokens cataloged in this book.

Here is a rare (only 25 struck) 2MF-8.

Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My research of financial periodicals from the 1981 to 1982 time frame revealed that Wellington Financial Corp. was based out of Hawaii and it dealt with metals. Unlisted in the book Hawaiian Money 2nd Edition by Medcalf & Russell, published in 1991.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05