Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PoppaJohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Im new here and need help on identifying the year,origin,and value of this coin. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Valued Member
305 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely some sort of Egyptian coin/medal dated 1409 - 1989.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29064 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PoppaJohn,
to CCF.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10202 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most likely some sort of Egyptian coin/medal dated 1409 - 1989

I agree. A.R.E. is likely Arab Republic of Egypt, the official name of the country. I could not find this as a coin in a search on Numista (there are A LOT of Egypt commemoratives since the 1980s), so it may be a medal.
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dude on the chariot makes me think of Ramesses the great so my guess is that it was probably a souvenir medal or something from a museum or historical site. I'll bet the symbols over the figure identify the individual but I didn't get a hit on google images for the hieroglyphic spelling of Ramesses.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PoppaJohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found coins like this one,but with a little different details. So is this some some sort of replication?
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PoppaJohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the closest coin I've seen with a few differences.
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe someone here can read the inscription? I admit I don't know much about Egyptian coins but the history of the pharaohs and ancient Egypt is fascinating. Wikipedia showed a similar looking design showing Ramesses II on a chariot.

Also just a guess but the fact that the 2nd set of pics you posted (which I am assuming is an actual coin) has a denomination and year do make me think your original was not created as currency but as a tourist souvenir or commemorative medal of some kind.
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still no solution on this huh? I'd love to know what it is....
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The original poster's item is an Egyptian medal probably commemorating Egypt's readmission to the Arab League in 1989.

The post-Farouk Egyptian government issued this gold coin with the same obverse to commemorate the sacking of King Farouk.

Egypt pound 1955 - Third anniversary of Egyptian Revolution
Gold, 23mm, 8.48gm, 0.8750 (21 carat)

This coin has an image of the Egyptian Pharaoh Rameses II riding a chariot.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Edited by willieboyd2
07/21/2019 1:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Willie! I got the guy on the chariot right at least!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05